Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my transferred-registration front plate sitting on the dashboard. I ordered one of the GrimmSpeed tow hitch front plate mounts, and it should be arriving today. So, hopefully I'll be unquestionably legal soon.

Meanwhile, I've been dutifully reading the entire owner's manual -- yeah, yeah, I know, but this is my first manual transmission vehicle -- and I noticed something. In the tow-hitch section, it says not to drive with the tow-hitch in, as it may interfere with the SRS airbag deployment in the case of an accident. Yet ... that's exactly what I'll be doing with the tow-hitch license plate mount.

Thoughts, concerns?

·
Registered
107 Posts
These front bumpers are worse then the tow hook for airbag deployment as long as the bumper support bar gets pushed in enough to activate your front airbag sensor you should be fine in a accident where you will meed your airbag that tow hook wot stop much i would think

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Call me what you will but I'm going to skip the tow-hook mount for this reason. I'm guessing that a collision on the tow-hook/license plate will transfer the energy to the frame bypassing the bumper and SRS sensor. At a minimum, the deployment timing would be off and the timing is probably pretty tight as it is. Granted, only a certain subset of collision angles are problematic but I still don't think that it is worth the risk.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I currently have my transferred-registration front plate sitting on the dashboard. I ordered one of the GrimmSpeed tow hitch front plate mounts, and it should be arriving today. So, hopefully I'll be unquestionably legal soon.

Meanwhile, I've been dutifully reading the entire owner's manual -- yeah, yeah, I know, but this is my first manual transmission vehicle -- and I noticed something. In the tow-hitch section, it says not to drive with the tow-hitch in, as it may interfere with the SRS airbag deployment in the case of an accident. Yet ... that's exactly what I'll be doing with the tow-hitch license plate mount.

Thoughts, concerns?
What does Grimm say about this issue? And are there any alternatives to their mount? I have to find a solution to this myself in the next few weeks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Just make your own relocator. You don't HAVE to go with the grimmspeed. Though it's a very nice piece.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a very nice piece, definitely. I have it mounted now. I think they may say the same sort of thing that was said in this thread: that having the tow-hitch mount in does increase chance of SRS failure, but only from some angles.

It mounts so cleanly, which is rather nice compared to solutions that do not use the tow hitch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts