Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Thought I'd share a couple things about my experience with my possible "synchro issue". So, I had the dreaded 2nd gear crunch and replaced fluid in the rear diff and tranny pumpkin. Used extra s fluid. Didn't resolve this issue. Now, after this I about flipped. Called my dealership (Mastro Subaru in Tampa, FL) and told them what was going on. Without hesitation, they gave me a rental and told me that I was getting a new tranny put in. I've never had a warrantied vehicle, so this was a surprise. I was happy about it. Only took em a day and a half to finish. And I was on my way. Now, I got the car and there was still a crunch when shifting into second.

My previous car was a VW Rabbit and it was an economy car that shifted very easily and smoothly. It really was a bit hard to get a hard shift out of it. But now that I have this Subaru (heard they've always been a bit rough with shifts) it's pretty smooth after second. Well, when I was first driving this car, I was leisurely shifting it from 1st to 2nd in a straight back motion. Well, after the tranny replacement, it still did it so I decided to shift differently. I shifted putting slight pressure to the left when holding this shift knob and it shifted smoothly. I liked it. Took off a few times and did it with this motion and it was good. Now, question...is this completely normal? Is everyone having to shift like this to get a clean shift in? Will it hurt anything just holding it with pressure to the left side while shiffting? Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does it always shift like this? From day one mine has shifted like this when cold, but becomes smooth and slick after warmup. Also, don't know if I'm just getting used to it, but it seems better with 15K miles. Temp here has been in the 60's to high 70's F lately and shifting has been heavenly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it always shift like this? From day one mine has shifted like this when cold, but becomes smooth and slick after warmup. Also, don't know if I'm just getting used to it, but it seems better with 15K miles. Temp here has been in the 60's to high 70's F lately and shifting has been heavenly.

I live in FL...so in December it can get in to 70-80s still. Temp is where it should be :cool:. I just picked the car up today and it seems to be good now. Talked to the dealer and they said the gear oil will take a couple hours to settle in nicely with the trans. When I first purchased the vehicle, I was shifting between 3-3.5K RPMS. Bumped it up to about 4-4.5K and it seems good now. Coming from a car that could be shifted leisurely at 2K RPM, it's difficult acclimating to this new tranny. I programmed the rev indicator and beep until I get used to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Phil86 - what year is your BRZ? My 2014 that I bought new in April is being stubborn (recently started) when shifting into 4th from 3rd over 5500RPMs and when downshifting into 5th from 6th at highway speeds. It's difficult to shift, grinds and sometimes just won't go. It has done this into second gear from first only twice, but does the 4th gear and 5th gear grind and difficulty on a daily basis. I'm really upset after reading that they are replacing the entire transmission in these cars! Thats major work, even if it does take a day and a half, its upsetting that they didn't fix this issue after all the 2013's that got new trannys put in. I guess I'm gonna have to harass the crap out of the local dealer to do the warranty work. I already inquired and they tried to tell me this is normal and nothing to be concerned about. When the car won't go into gear and barely has 9000 miles on it....this is not normal! Do you have any advice or suggestions for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Side pressure to the left on the shifter is correct for 1/2, 2/1 or 3/2.

No pressure for 2/3, 3/4 or 4/3.

Side pressure to the right for 4/5, 5/6, or 6/5.

Upshifts should be fine up to 7,500 rpm. Shifting below about 5,000 rpm is short shifting this car.

Rev matching on the downshift is a very good idea. Failing to rev match can baulk the downshift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts