Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled up my first tank, mixed driving probably 70% hwy, 30% city. I was at 1/4 tank when I filled up.

280 miles on the odometer, 8.48 gallon fill up.

33.01 MPG!!!!

Granted, this car hasn't gone past 4K RPM yet, but I am amazed at the mileage. The avg. displayed is 31.2. Either way, very excited about mileage potential!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm guessing Manual trans? The published economy figures did seem a little pessimistic considering the weight and aerodynamic coefficient. If they were based on what is seen on the trip computer then that would explain it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone want to get the instant mpg for interstate or highway speed? My bettle get up to 32 mpg highway, but that's only at 55 mph. At 65 mph it gets about 27 and at 80 mph its closer to 25 mph, a bit of a let down when driving to the city, 90 miles away.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't looked at instant, but if my first tank was 33mpg as measured by gallons used and miles driven, I'd say you should be expecting low to mid 30's easy on the freeway. I travel at 65-70 mph for the majority of my freeway distance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I might as well chime in here.
For this post, keep it going, but post your:
TRANS either 6mt or Auto
Tire pressure.
Gas type, ie 87, 89, 91/premium.

thanks...
ps, 44.5mpg, CVT, pressure 39psi, Honda CR-Z, 87 non ethanol, sport mode, at/under 70mph

see what i get at.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So...I just drove my new BRZ from Milwaukee back down to Champaign...about 250 miles. I ranged from 55 to 65 MPH the whole way (occasionally up to 70) and always under 4,000 RPMs. I pretty much stayed in 6th gear with an occasional drop to 5th for a little RPM change.

At its best I was at 40 MPG average. Granted I as taking it VERY easy...but this car can definitely get good gas mileage if driven the right way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today took a trip from Milwaukee to Madison, about 80 miles.

Myself, two passengers and some light luggage, cruise set to 70mph, reset avg mpg when we left, showed 35.4 when we arrived. I'll update again when Im down another full tank.

Also, I read in the manual that you can turn on an up-shift light for the best mpg. :)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
40mpg is good for a "sports car"

Wait till you put better tires on it and start slapping mods on. Mileage will go down the drain.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Just check the mpg under your ordinary style of driving. Too many people ruin/damage their engine "hyper-mileing."

Don't put it at high enough gear in that your speed increases extremely slow or you can only maintain your speed with the pedal mashed.

This is a highly-fuel efficient 200hp engine. Treat it right.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
That is true.. Whenever my girlfriend drives my car I complain because she doesn't downshift when she goes up a hill and just bogs the engine down to 1000rpm trying to mash the pedal and go up the hill. DOWNSHIFT DAMMIT! You are suffocating the engine. The BRZ is a torqueless car. You need to rev it up to get it going.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ I'm getting all these numbers by driving normally. Most of the time it's floored up to 4k, then I shift.

Mileage will go down the drain with stickier tires, sure. But it's not like a 240 A/A tire is an eco tire. Falken Azenis and StarSpecs are only 200 A/A. I guarantee that even with those sticky tires you will average around 30mpg during a tank of normal driving.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Its good to hear some decent mileage. I was quite disappointed with the real world mileage that the new impreza is getting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Premium
6MT
35psi
91/premium
1020 miles on car

I'm getting, with 100% city driving, 22.7 mi/gal. Lower than I'd like to see but I certainly didn't buy this car for gas mileage. I'm sure the road mileage will be much improved - just need to find the time for a good road trip to check it out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
^ I'm getting all these numbers by driving normally. Most of the time it's floored up to 4k, then I shift.

Mileage will go down the drain with stickier tires, sure. But it's not like a 240 A/A tire is an eco tire. Falken Azenis and StarSpecs are only 200 A/A. I guarantee that even with those sticky tires you will average around 30mpg during a tank of normal driving.
Actually it is an eco tire, which is why its also used on the Prius. Tire rating numbers are indicaters of wear rates and although it is true that sticky tires tend to have low numbers, it is not always the reverse. You don't have to read very many reviews of this car to find out how poorly these tires are regarded from a performance basis. In fact, one magazine ran a story where they put real performance tires on the car and discussed the significant improvements.

·
Registered
307 Posts
City driving, lead foot, about 22MPG.
Highway cruising at 75MPH, about 29MPG.

My average tanks are around 26MPG.

Recently I went 40 miles on the highway at 2.5KRPM and got 32.8MPG. But it is boring!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know how you guys are getting such good MPGs. I'm on my second tank now and I'm averaging ~23 combined. 60% of my driving was on hilly terrain, but still my MPG is nowhere near the numbers everyone else is posting!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't know how you guys are getting such good MPGs. I'm on my second tank now and I'm averaging ~23 combined. 60% of my driving was on hilly terrain, but still my MPG is nowhere near the numbers everyone else is posting!
MPG steadily improves as the car breaks in. I'm at 4,000 miles now. My numbers were easily 2-3MPG less in the early days.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Down to 28.2 mpg. I blame this on the exhaust I just installed, encouraging me to push it a little harder than usual.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts