Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a Subaru BRZ preview by autos.ca before the BRZ officially goes on sale.

Article and photos by Michael Schlee

It all started in 2007 with a group of rogue Subaru engineers in their version of a ‘skunk works’ department. They wanted to see how a Subaru with a very low centre of gravity would perform. A test mule based on a shortened legacy chassis was created and the engine was dropped as low as it could go. Impressed with their progress, the engineering team invited executives from both Subaru and recent investor Toyota to see how this RWD concept drove. Although initially tentative, a second mule was created from an Impreza platform and spy shots began to show up on the internet like it was Lindsay Lohan fresh off a bender. History was made and one of the longest and most hyped vehicle developments began.

If automobiles are anything more than a passing interest to you, you have surely heard of the Subaru BRZ by now; maybe not with that name specifically, but perhaps as the Scion FR-S, Toyota GT 86, Toyota FT-86 or Toyobaru. The name BRZ stands for Boxer (as in the engine configuration), Rear-wheel drive and Zenith (as in the height of achievement) and there you have the idea behind this car. Subaru feels this car new also fits in with their current “Confidence in Motion” marketing campaign as it is a back to basics sports car. Specs and numbers were never the main focus for this car; intuitive driving feel was the goal.

Having said that, the BRZ does boast some impressive specifications: the centre of gravity is just 460 mm off the ground and sits 18 mm lower than the Porsche Cayman. The estimated vehicle weight will be a lean 1,256 kg and features a special saddle style gas tank straddling the driveshaft and exhaust to keep weight low to the ground. The main focus of the BRZ’s development was to have the lowest possible centre of gravity to promote naturally awesome handling instead of making compromises or compensating for extra weight through tack-on suspension upgrades. If you’re having flashbacks to the principles of the Miata roadster, you’re not alone.

To achieve the BRZ’s 53/47 weight distribution, the battery and starter motor were moved behind the front axle. The car is controlled via electric power steering. Powering the lightweight coupe will be an all-new 2.0-litre Boxer-4 engine developing 200 hp @ 7,450 r.p.m. and150 lb.-ft. of torque. Although the torque is low, the curve itself is very flat and usable torque can be found in most of the rev range – but make no mistake, this is no EJ25 turbo. The new engine is 87 mm flatter than the Impreza’s equally new 2.0-litre Boxer-4 and features direct injection (from the Toyota parts warehouse) and a 12.5:1 compression ratio.

Subaru faithful fear not, the 4-2-1 exhaust system still features that traditional Boxer rumble. However, for a little extra snarl, the BRZ has its own rendition of a sound tube amplifying engine intake noises into the cabin.

Being an equal partner in this joint venture, Toyota will be getting their own version of this car called the Toyota GT 86 everywhere except North America, where it will be sold as the Scion FR-S. The marriage consists of Subaru handling and engine development and production while Toyota taking the lead in product planning and styling.

All three versions of this car will be built in the same factory by Subaru. The trio rides on a dedicated platform and at this time there are no plans to produce any other vehicles or variants from it; that includes the rumoured convertible and STI versions. However, the gambler in us thinks there is a good likelihood that both of these will show up in the not-too-distant future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Although my knees will learn to hate me even more, the thought of those seats just mere inch(es) off the floor pan gets me hot and bothered just thinking how well this car will feel hitting the twisties and maintaining contact in all 4 corners as you slingshot out of a curve....

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Although my knees will learn to hate me even more, the thought of those seats just mere inch(es) off the floor pan gets me hot and bothered just thinking how well this car will feel hitting the twisties and maintaining contact in all 4 corners as you slingshot out of a curve....
That might be an issue for me, im kinda tall so i guess i'll have to push the seat further back and pull the steering wheel up a bit more. I hope the BRZ won't be an uncomfortable vehicle. I guess we can always get aftermarket seats

·
Registered
359 Posts
Worst comes to worst.. im sure most of us will get aftermarket seats that go even lower to the floor...

But i really want to seee how this car drive on a full course or even in a Best motoring video agiasnt ALL other cars.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Unless you are freakishly tall you should fit in the BRZ. But I guess if you didn't for some 8 foot reason you could get lower seat rails.

·
Registered
140 Posts
worst comes to worst... bride super low rails or buddy club rails!

and an ever lower after market bucket seat haha .

Other wise those seats will do fine for now :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts