Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had protection film on a car before but am seriously thinking about getting it for the BRZ..whenever it eventually arrives.
Any advice, do's/don'ts with this stuff ? Mostlly wanting to see if you guys recommend doing it. Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I recommend it for sure. Nothing else to know about it really. Cost effective solution to keeping your car scratch resistant. $350 is what I remember a bumper costing to get covered. You usually can't even tell its on the car. You can get anything on the car wrapped. The entire thing if you like really. Most people do bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank a lot guys. I'll plan on getting it as soon as possible after I get the car.

@NotSoJDM -- if you can recommend any installers in the Triangle area, I'd appreciate it. Or even around your neck of the woods

·
Registered
200 Posts
TVP Auto

Total Vehicle Preparation. The guy's name is Pete that runs the show. He is hands down the best installer I've seen do this stuff. If you have ever been to Cars&Coffee in brier creek he sometimes drives a mercedes convertible that he displays some of his work on. There is a wrapped matte red mini cooper with brushed aluminum roof vinyl, he wrapped that whole car. He also did all the carbon fiber film on the white audi tt that comes out there.

Pete at TVP does tint as well. He has done tint for me on my 240, my brothers evo, and my dads porsche c4s. He also did a front clear bra for my dad. His work surpassed the quality of the OEM film on the Porsche. OEM had a orange peel look and had a light yellowish hue to it. Petes job has no orange peel look and perfectly clear.

Also, I'm actually from Raleigh. I am just down in Greenville for school. I graduate in may, and then I'll be back in the Raleigh/Durham area.

·
Registered
276 Posts
my dealer offered this as an 'accessory'. You might want to ask your dealer if they have something like that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks a lot ! That's not too far from me.
I'll hang onto his info. I've been meaning to go back to Cars and Coffee, it's been a long time.
Good luck finishing up school..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm glad this post came along. Finally something useful aside from the common speculative ramblings found in General Discussion at this moment (I'm guilty of some rambling, admittedly).

I dug around and found a company really close to me that does the 3M Paint Protective film and also carries the full 3M window tint family. I think I am going to pony up and go all the way with the 3M Crystalline window film series. Living in Tucson means cars get unbearably hot inside during the long summer season and the $500 is going to be worth it since my BRZ will be a DD.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Did it on the Evo and doing it on this car. Evo still looks brand new
I am considering the EVO X. I hear Mitsu uses cheap paint and there are many complaints of the paint chipping within the first year.

Can you verify this ? And did you cover the entire evo?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am considering the EVO X. I hear Mitsu uses cheap paint and there are many complaints of the paint chipping within the first year.

Can you verify this ? And did you cover the entire evo?
Oftheheavens and my brother are both local EVOX owners to me. Having seen both of them, and countless others, the paint is better quality than I have seen on most OEMs recently. Less orange peel, and both look to be holding up great. No paint chips I've seen, and both have been owners for over a year. No he did not cover his entire evo. Typical full vinyl wraps run in the neighborhood of $3,000.

My brother has no protective film on his, which is silver, and he has no paint chips.

The only evo paint problems I've personally seen (not internet hear-say) is the evo 8s with the clear coat on the calipers peeling and the paint fading, and the carbon fiber insert of the spoiler the clear cracks/fades badly. Haven't seen any negative paint aspects on the evo x.

Reactions: ngabdala

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry but as for paying $500 for your 3m tint that is crazy. Huper Optik is top of the line and that wouldn't even run $500 on a BRZ. Some very nice top quality tint would be anywhere from 200-$250 for a BRZ. That is unless that includes the clear protection film as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry but as for paying $500 for your 3m tint that is crazy. Huper Optik is top of the line and that wouldn't even run $500 on a BRZ. Some very nice top quality tint would be anywhere from 200-$250 for a BRZ. That is unless that includes the clear protection film as well.
I've been searching around and $500 for a full vehicle using 3M Crystaline tint seems like a decent deal (assuming windshield as well). I've seen higher from some vendors outside of my locale during my search. I paid about $180 five years ago for good tint on my WRX, but it is not the Crystaline series from 3M. I've been looking at tint forums such as 'tintdude' and Huper comes up often too as a direct competitor to 3M. Huper apparently has interference issues though with GPS and cell phone signal due to the metallic makeup of the film. If you have some better information, I'm sure we're all open to hear and read about it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
does anyone have pictures of what this cover would look like on a vehicle? it is obvious you have a cover on?
It's a relatively thin piece of clear vinyl. usually you can't see it. Sometimes, after a few years, the clear starts hazing over and looks more yellow (think just like headlights).

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's a relatively thin piece of clear vinyl. usually you can't see it. Sometimes, after a few years, the clear starts hazing over and looks more yellow (think just like headlights).
Dealbreaker. I'll go with waxing, protecting the paint. After a few waxes the paint looks better than when you drove it off the lot and it's well protected.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dealbreaker. I'll go with waxing, protecting the paint. After a few waxes the paint looks better than when you drove it off the lot and it's well protected.
Well protected from rock chips, debris, and bugs with just wax? I doubt it. This film is thin but REALLY durable. It's like Invishield for the iPhone. Typically wont turn for 5+ years if quality film is used. 90% of the cars TVP deals with are 80k+ so you know it's gotta look damn good. No Ferrari or Lamborghini owner is gonna use this stuff if it turns yellow in a year.

My dad has had his on his Porsche for almost 2 years now and it's crystal clear like the day it was put on. I'll post a pic later and you tell me if you can see it.

Reactions: ngabdala

·
Registered
7 Posts
So what do you do when you wax the hood of your car if you have that film? I know it only goes up half way so most cars typically have that little line of wax.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got full hood , full fenders, headlights, mirrors, front aerokit. If you don't take care of it with a good wax, it will turn yellow, but even still will take several years to do so. I plan on using emipire graphics near Wilmington and will get the same that I have on the Evo.

I do have minor rock chips on the rear fenders, but have seen Evo x's that like sandblasted in the front. Hwy's are terrible for cars

1 - 20 of 49 Posts