Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I usually shift around 3k rpms. Sometimes when I shift gears I can hear rattling noise at the bottom of the car, it sounds like something is loose. Now I know that when you start at a very low RPM the transmission tends to rattle obviously, but this feeling lasts around 2,000-2,400 rpms and after it gets above that then it goes away. It does not do it all the time but it does get embarassing sometimes when I know I shifted properly but still rattles. Any suggestions or does anyone else getting problem with theirs?

The rattle sounds like a loose heatshield gasket or metal on metal vibration.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's not the shifter is it? Try removing the knob and see if the rattle persists.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had the rattling issue when I am out of gear and slowing down to a stop. It seems to come from the gearbox. It is rather consistent too. I thought at first I was pushing on the shifter accidentally to cause it, but that is not the case.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not the shifter, and it is hard to explain the rattle. It sounds similar to a car with a loose heatshield gasket, I am thinking it might have to do with the metal plate at the bottom of the car touching the engine/tranny but I am not too sure since it never makes the noise while idle. I guess I am not the only one, must be a 1st year issue thing. Sigh....

Additional issues: Today it rained and the car was parked outside, yes the taillight is having condensation. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
When the car is fully warmed up the transmission on my BRZ feels rattly and loose - at less than 2,000 miles - less so when cold. In traffic smooth 1st to 2nd and even 2nd to 3rd shifts need ever more care. It sounds and feels like my original chain drive SAAB with 250,000 miles on it - just before the trany packed in. Anyone else find the same?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had the rattling issue when I am out of gear and slowing down to a stop. It seems to come from the gearbox. It is rather consistent too. I thought at first I was pushing on the shifter accidentally to cause it, but that is not the case.
I have the same issue. It sounds like the engine is going to die, but its not the engine. I also tried putting to neutral earlier (about 25 mph) from 6th but to no avail. When i engine break (slightly) it doesnt rattle. I think it doesnt like 6th to full stop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I usually shift around 3k rpms. Sometimes when I shift gears I can hear rattling noise at the bottom of the car, it sounds like something is loose. Now I know that when you start at a very low RPM the transmission tends to rattle obviously, but this feeling lasts around 2,000-2,400 rpms and after it gets above that then it goes away. It does not do it all the time but it does get embarassing sometimes when I know I shifted properly but still rattles. Any suggestions or does anyone else getting problem with theirs?

The rattle sounds like a loose heatshield gasket or metal on metal vibration.

Same here... Definately sounds like metal rattling. Either it is supposed to sound like that or many of us have this problem. Seems to go away somewhat when you up the RPMs.

I was going to take my car into the dealer tomorrow, but they haven't worked on a BRZ yet so I am just going to wait for more TSB's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've heard the same thing. Sounds like clutch/tranny chatter to me. I had similar noises in my Evo. I haven't been bothered with it as it sounds normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is not the shifter, and it is hard to explain the rattle. It sounds similar to a car with a loose heatshield gasket, I am thinking it might have to do with the metal plate at the bottom of the car touching the engine/tranny but I am not too sure since it never makes the noise while idle. I guess I am not the only one, must be a 1st year issue thing. Sigh....

Additional issues: Today it rained and the car was parked outside, yes the taillight is having condensation. :(

same here :(

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi Guys,

Today it rained and the car was parked outside, yes the taillight is having condensation then after you drive it the condensation was gone. It's this normal? Or it should be no condensation at all times even it rained or not the condensation of the taillights should not be there? :confused:

Roger

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hate this issue. I've been waiting close to 3-4 weeks now for my dealer to get it in from the warehouse in ATL. Free replacement with warranty but I will keep going back until there no condensation. Ever.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've heard the same thing. Sounds like clutch/tranny chatter to me. I had similar noises in my Evo. I haven't been bothered with it as it sounds normal.
Sounds to me that this might be the issue. Well not really an issue, but more a side effect of a lightweight single mass flywheel. This slight chatter can be heard on stock WRXs with the 5 speed. The chatter tends to be more noticeable on deceleration with RPMs dipping below 3k.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Taking my BRZ in for the first oil change today. I'll be mentioing the rattling and the crickets. Let you all know what they say.

·
Registered
56 Posts
what did they say? any news? i think its normal had similar noise in my 02 wrx 5speed im having another issue when engine is under heavy load 3000 to 7000 makes almost like a pinging noise like its miss firing but very faint found similar thread on ft86club but hasnt been updated anyone hear this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also having a chattering/rattle at idle. The other day on the highway I dropped into 3rd gear at 55 MPH and could hear it at speed. If I applied pressure to the clutch the rattling went away. (Same thing happens at idle.. pressing the clutch pedal just a little bit and the rattle goes away.) This to me is a bad Throw-Out Bearing.

Anyone have experience with a worn or bad clutch throw-out bearing?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts