Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started noticing my rearview mirror vibrating a few weeks ago... Took my BRZ in yesterday for a tire rotation/oil change... Two blocks from leaving the dealership and my rearview mirror fell off. I went back and they said there was a defect in how Subaru manufactures them... Something about the mounting plate not having threads and eventually all of them will fall off over time. Anyway, they did a temporary patch - that didn't work as it fell off again just as I got home. They said they would order me a new kit, but now I a screwed at least for the next few days.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ordered a Homelink kit for our BRZ and the mounting plate didn't have threads. There was nothing I could do to get it to mount properly, the mirror would nit tighten, and if I left it, it would have just fallen off at some point.

After convincing the online retailer that I was not an idiot, I have a Masters in Mechanical Engineer, they sent me a new mounting kit. That one had the same issue. This time I prethreaded the mounting plate, and put a thin shim behind the plate so the screws had a chance at going deeper into the plate, and got everything to snug up properly. Sounds like their supplier has a process problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wait a minute, you guys use the rearview mirror?
Wait a minute, you don't use it?

I mean the most-used mirror pieces for me would be left one but I'm used to looking at the rearview mirror from time to time.

I don't really look at rearview mirror (I just use my sight range.. which means I can look on the road further up and still can see rearview mirror if any car should move in or out of my lane behind me) but when I do, I make sure I look at it for a solid second :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine just started vibrating took it in friday and the tech tried to tighten things up but said if that did not fix it they would order a new one. If this is a new issue I guess I will wait till they come out with a correct fix or until it falls off before going back to Subaru.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i too have the homelink and it started vibrating and loosening about 2 weeks ago. I brought the car in for it's first service and had the techs look at it. They replaced the mounting bracket and all is fine for now!

·
Registered
52 Posts
This just happened to me. I have the auto-dimming mirror without homelink. I heard a rattle coming from the mirror and went to adjust it and it fell right off. I tried to screw it back in but the screws won't take. Have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've notice a lot of vibration in my homelink rearview mirror as well. And yes, I certainly use the thing. There always lots an lots of cars behind me and never many in front. :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently had the same problem with my HomeLink mirror. I took my car in to have it looked at and they ordered me a new mounting kit. Today I went in to have the new one installed. When I got in my car to leave I went to adjust the mirror it was even looser than before I took it in the first time. I pointed that out to the service manager and he called the tech over who installed it. The tech said the little mounting plate is cast aluminum and the screws cut their own threads in the plate so if they were to take it off to check it there is a good chance it would never go back on. They ordered me a second new mounting kit which should be here in the next couple of days. Hopefully the mirror won't fall off in the meantime. I like Zinfreak's idea of pre-threading and shimming the plate.

If this next kit doesn't fix it (or comes loose again) I will just try to have them order me the kit and let me install it myself so I can make the mods mentioned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My homelink mirror fell off this week. The mirror had been a little loose for a while, and I was planning to have it looked at during my next service appointment. But then I was on my way home, stopping at a stoplight, and the thing just fell off and hung there on its wires. I immediately detached the electrical connector so that the mirror wouldn't pull the wires farther out. I tried to fix it at home, but the mirror has a fancy five-pointed allen nut for which I didn't have a suitable wrench. I took the car in the next day, and the dealership reattached mirror. It seems fine now, I'm happy to report.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine is rattling. I will have to take a look at it and see whats loose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same problem here. Mine was loose before they rolled it out of the show room. I chalked it up to the many people who sat in it while it was in there. They tightened it and ordered me a new mounting bracket. Supposed to be fixed next weekend. Still a little loose, but holding ok. They said it would vibrate more than most cars because of the stiff suspension.

Update:today on the crappy bumpy roads of highlands ranch my mirror fell off. I emailed the dealership to see if my kit is in yet. It was supposed to be here this week. I think I'll jimmy rig something to keep it in place while I wait. Crappy part is that the dealership is 50 miles from where I live

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine fell off subaru said once you take them off they won't go back on and meaning I took mine off to have a strip applied to my windshield they would not replace it and that I would have to buy a mounting kit myself. Sounds like bunch of crap to me why make something that can't be taken off and put back on unless they are just making things up to not have to replace it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
My car has the Homelink installed at the port. It was wobbly, and before I took delivery, I made the dealer fix it. The senior tech said that it looked like the threads had been over tightened. He replaced it from one it stock. No wobbling, but it does vibrate on any non-smooth surface. The dealer said they'd take care of it at my convenience. However, it sounds like it's a bit more of an issue than that. On the other hand, having grown up around 1950's vintage British sports cars (original Austin Healy 100, XK140 Jag, etc) it's almost nostalgic that the rear mirror vibrates. The only time the rear view mirrors on those cars didn't shake was when they weren't running.

·
Registered
483 Posts
There are supposedly "short" screws in the mounting kit which must be used instead of the originals.

Rear view mirror mounting is tricky because of the breakaway requirement in collisions. The mirror needs to be vibration free during normal operation (stiff suspension is not relevant, the mirror has to be vibration free to work correctly). Also, it needs to snap off the mounting if struck by the specified force. This even in an airbag and seatbelt equipped car. The mirror spec was imposed when it was assumed the occupants were not belted in, which is still the standard in the US!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I took mine into the same dealer a week after riodriver. The service advisor made sure they installed the correct mounting plate, as the one installed at the port appears to have the issue (from what I've read on here and other boards).

No issues since they replaced the mount with the correct one. FWIW, the part number and description on the service ticket is listed as: H501SSA040 - Mounting Adapter

Here is a link to the adapter . . .

Subaru OEM Parts Accessories | Buy Genuine Subaru Parts Wholesale

YMMV

1 - 20 of 31 Posts