Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I brought the wrong tires for my brz.

Ordered some Bridgestone Potenza s04 pole position tires from tirerack.com.
Size: 225/40/18xl.

Im kind of new to modifying. I did some research on these tires from tirerack, and the reviews were
great. The only problem is, I went to a local tire shop to get some pricing information on installtion, and one of the
installer there told me, "why in the world did you buy these tires for your car?" He said, these tires are
very hard and stiff, it will make my car ride worse and get a lot of oversteer.

The tires is on the way, but now im kind of hesitant to put them on.
have anyone had any experience with these tires on small coupe cars? what you guys think?

by the way,, got new wheels along with the tires, 18" enkie raijin gunmetal.
The car so far is all bone stock. just wanna add some wheels and tires for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm no tire expert, but I see no problem with those. Stiff sidewalls are a good thing, it helps the suspension do its job. As long as you put them on all four corners, the balance of the car should not be noticeably altered...it may behave differently at the limits (more, or less, progressive when breaking loose), but it shouldn't increase oversteer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no tire expert, but I see no problem with those. Stiff sidewalls are a good thing, it helps the suspension do its job. As long as you put them on all four corners, the balance of the car should not be noticeably altered...it may behave differently at the limits (more, or less, progressive when breaking loose), but it shouldn't increase oversteer.

Did some further researched and don't see nothing wrong.
The tires finally came. Gonna put them on soon and will post pics.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wondering if I brought the wrong tires for my brz.

Ordered some Bridgestone Potenza s04 pole position tires from tirerack.com.
Size: 225/40/18xl.

Im kind of new to modifying. I did some research on these tires from tirerack, and the reviews were
great. The only problem is, I went to a local tire shop to get some pricing information on installtion, and one of the
installer there told me, "why in the world did you buy these tires for your car?" He said, these tires are
very hard and stiff, it will make my car ride worse and get a lot of oversteer.

The tires is on the way, but now im kind of hesitant to put them on.
have anyone had any experience with these tires on small coupe cars? what you guys think?

by the way,, got new wheels along with the tires, 18" enkie raijin gunmetal.
The car so far is all bone stock. just wanna add some wheels and tires for now.
Change your tire shop. You don't want anyone that ignorant anywhere near your car.

The ONLY problem with those outstanding tires will be the complete elimination of oversteer and a reduction of understeer. The reason understeer will be reduced is you will [email protected] your pants before those tires will let go.

The only tires which compare with the pole position series from Bridgestone are similar models from the other big guys: Michelin Supersports (possibly the best of an excellent bunch), Pirelli P Zero, Continental Sportcontact 5, Goodyear F1 (another excellent choice) and so on. Every major tire company builds a competing tire at this top end of the max performance range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
FWIW the stock tires on the Honda S2000 are Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S02's. They are a great and expensive tire.

·
Registered
483 Posts
FWIW the stock tires on the Honda S2000 are Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S02's. They are a great and expensive tire.
The S 04 are the latest version of those phenomenal S 02 incorporating everything Bridgestone has learned since. Tire Rack's testing puts this S 04 tire a close second behind the truly amazing Michelin Supersports.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like the tire shop is trying to scare you into buying what they want to sell you.
Find a tire shop that respects your ability to make your own choice after research.
I switched to non-runflats on my MINI and was fine with my tire shop until they made a corporate-wide decision to refuse to install non-runflats on cars originally sold with runflats. I loudly let them know how stupid that position was and have never gone back. The only time they can legitimately criticize your choice is when there is an obvious clearance issue or the tires absolutley will not fit on the wheels. It's a knee-jerk reaction for shops to see your increased knowledge as a threat to their business.
Don't hesitate to walk away from any retail establishment that doesn't respect you.

·
Automotive Lighting Experts
1,070 Posts
You picked a good set of tires, don't let an installer put doubt in your mind. I picked out some Nitto Motivos for my brother's 2004 325xi BMW because he drives in bad conditions a lot and they have saved him numerous times. The guy working at NTB recommended some horrid off-brand I can't even remember for like $5 less a tire...unbelievable

-Nick C.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Im picking a set of these up as well just in a 225 45 17 though. Have read a ton of good things on them not to mention I got them when discount was running a $150 off promotional. They should be here in a week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts