Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BC has published an article with the latest scoop on the FT-86 / BRZ. According to a summary that I was provided with, Toyota is planning to fit an 1.6-liter turbocharged engine one year after the initial introduction of the model. Now, what seems rather strange to me is the fact that BC claims that the turbocharged engine will be fitted in the G's / STi versions, while the "normal" versions will be powered by the naturally aspired 2.0-liter engine.

In any case, the article also mentions that the new turbo engine will be fitted in the new Subaru Impreza WRX STi as well, producing 270ps. BC also claims that the differences between the FT-86 and the BRZ (or whatever the official name will be) will be on the front and rear ends.

frs.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Seems like Subaru, Toyota, and Scion will be aiming for good fuel economy with the 1.6 Liter Turbo engine. I doubt anyone will have a lot of fun with that engine.
I wish a bigger engine was available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lord knows, with both the STI's I've owned, I've always said to myself, "If only they offered a smaller, less powerful engine than this perfectly good ~300 Hp 2.5 liter one." I'm a fan of moving on to better and more efficient drive trains and all, but I'm not sure completely abandoning the well developed 2.0 and 2.5 liter 4's is the right way to go.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i agree 1.6L turbos for toyota maybe its their GTS-T version of TRD or whatever it could be.

But it would honestly make no sense for Subaru to adopt the same motor when they have a perfectly fine ej20 and ej25's to toss in there...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts