Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Now that the Subaru BRZ is nearly on sale and we've had one in our office to test, people are back to the fun game of speculation on the BRZ STi.

Auto Express is the latest peddler of such rumors thanks to a conversation they had with Subaru marketing manager Atoshi Atake. "We have already had many requests from interested customers regarding a faster version," said Atake. "Let me say this -- we will certainly satisfy our customers. We are already working on a faster version."

Unfortunately, Subaru says there is no space for a turbo and an intercooler. Atake says that they can further develop the intake and exhaust and maybe kick the rev limit to 7,500 for around 250 hp. We've spent time with this motor in the car and there's certainly room for a turbo and, if mounted up front like in normal cars, an intercooler.

But why would they?

The aftermarket will handle turbocharging which will ensure that they still sell BRZs to enthusiasts. Keeping it NA and a little low on power and price will stop it from cannibalizing WRX STI sales. Different cars sure, but at the STI level, it's much the same buyer. It's Cayman vs 911 but on a less expensive scale.

Atake agrees "Plus, we want to keep turbocharging separate. It is for models like the WRX STI. The same goes for four-wheel drive. We could not make the BRZ four-wheel drive even if we wanted to."

But we've known that there's no possibility of AWD for a while now.

So, no turbo and no AWD, but on the plus side, it was confirmed that a convertible is certainly possible.

Rumor: Subaru BRZ STI to Be Naturally Aspirated, Rear-drive

·
Registered
762 Posts
I remember reading some articles stating the BRZ STi will be all wheel drive which is stupid. For one, Subaru can use a RWD coupe....it's about time they did something aside from AWD. Second they will be competing with themselves if they do and third it will just jack up BRZ STi prices to a stupid level. I really dont want to pay $40k for a faster BRZ....NO THANKS.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Cheaper less maintenance , but lets be fair the real power going past 300 HP N/A a turbo is needed.. lol

but i dont think subaru can resist the almighty turbo.. lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
i prefer no turbo tbh. less maintenance, cheaper sti.
Subaru turbo motors are very reliable, and it's nice to know you have 80hp on tap from exhaust/tune. The problem with turbo is if you are tracking the car or running it extremely hard, it only takes 1 component having to do with fuel, air and the turbo system in general to fail and in turn lead to a engine explosion death. However it's still totally doable especially for subaru.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Subaru turbo motors are very reliable, and it's nice to know you have 80hp on tap from exhaust/tune. The problem with turbo is if you are tracking the car or running it extremely hard, it only takes 1 component having to do with fuel, air and the turbo system in general to fail and in turn lead to a engine explosion death. However it's still totally doable especially for subaru.
how reassuring :eek: this car with 200 + 80 + 50 = 330hp would be beast though.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheaper less maintenance , but lets be fair the real power going past 300 HP N/A a turbo is needed.. lol

but i dont think subaru can resist the almighty turbo.. lol
300HP N/A 2.0 liter BRZ under $40k will never happen. 250hp is where I think they will stop.

·
Registered
112 Posts
300HP N/A 2.0 liter BRZ under $40k will never happen. 250hp is where I think they will stop.
yea, I just don't see it being possible on regular fuel we get for high octane. I guess we could get lucky with 270 but 300 seems like a pipe dream. I sure hope the price isn't 40k or they will be 7,000 off MSRP like the 08 sti's and likely not be a big hit. People will pay mid 30's but 40's, no way

·
Registered
614 Posts
I agree, not many people will be willing to pay 40k. That is pushing the limits of the target market (i.e. 20-40 year olds) Also I think that 300hp is pushing the limits of engineering within a defined pricepoint. That is the amount of engineering to squeeze 300 hp out of a small 2.0 liter boxer 4cylinder engine is crazy. It would take so much $$$ to do that. They are barely squeezing out 200; I think if it was easy to get more hp N/A they already would have.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see much more then 250hp with the 2.0L without a turbocharger.
Exactly! Anyone who has built their own N/A engine will know how hard it is to pump out 50HP, going more than that will take some serious work. I assume most of the work Subaru will be doing to get 50HP more will be on fuel and air, making things less restrictive and more free flowing, then some internal work...heads maybe?

·
Registered
1 Posts
People are expecting a turbo charger on an STI. Anything less than that will be a mistake on Subaru's part.
I think your wrong. STI is performance, wheather or not it's turbo or n/a it doesn't really matter. If STI shaves another lest say 300lbs off and gets 50hp out of a n/a motor. Then your power to weight is awesome and that means so much more than more ponies with a 500lbs of extra weight. IMO

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think your wrong. STI is performance, wheather or not it's turbo or n/a it doesn't really matter. If STI shaves another lest say 300lbs off and gets 50hp out of a n/a motor. Then your power to weight is awesome and that means so much more than more ponies with a 500lbs of extra weight. IMO
Yup, I think people are missing the whole idea here and just wanting turbo. Turbo is nice and all but I rather have a lighter BRZ with more horsepower without the need of turbo so it'll be instant power!

·
Registered
25 Posts
i dont think they will ever come out with an awd version of the brz. people keep forgetting they marketed this as a rwd car. they wont make an awd version....

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i dont think they will ever come out with an awd version of the brz. people keep forgetting they marketed this as a rwd car. they wont make an awd version....
Yea it just makes sense if they keep this RWD. About time for something different.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Just showing where the engine and trans are

This car can not be made into an AWD car with subaru's current AWD system that they use on all of their cars. The back of the engine even with the front wheels. Therefore the they cant have send power to the front wheels unless they adopt another AWD system which would be symmetrical. Also there is no way that THIS 2.0L engine will make more than 250hp na. It's already at the 100hp per L mark which is very good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts