Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I got a good sized rock chip on the roof of my BRZ (right above the driver's head). Well, it chipped all the way to the metal and has already started to suffer a little surface rust. I am ordering a Dr. Colorchip kit to fix the chip but I want to remove the rust before I repair the chip.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to best do this? My thought was some fine-ish grit sandpaper around a toothpick or cotton swap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Let's get the conversation going!

I am no expert but I would use something stronger than a toothpick or cotton swab. Try using 220 to 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. It stands up longer than the tan colored paper used for wood projects. Wrap it around the end of a fine blade flat screw driver to get the pressure needed to sand out the rust.

I would personally use a small jewellers screwdriver without sand paper. The sharpness of the screwdriver will probably be enough to scrape away the rust. Since the damaged area is very small you won't likely notice the scratch marks under the paint.

Use good lighting and protection to avoid scratching the rest of your car with your belt buckle and buttons.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts