Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is factual or not, but in essence it's saying that you need to raise the motor to change plugs?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is usually a lot of car/fender/liner between the tire and the side of the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder how much distance they need. I'm seeing that you might as well do motor mounts every spark plug change, lol.

Just hoping that an engine support bar will be enough (rather than an engine hoist).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Depending on the clearance, it might be possible to weld a socket onto a steel bar to get the plugs loose or torque them back in. Some accessory belt tensioner tools have a 3/8" drives and are made for the low clearances found in transverse-mounted engines and might be useful for this too. The plugs would still have to be spun out by hand though and there may or may not be enough room for that. Getting the plugs back in by feel alone will take a little finesse and patience.

The starter motor is another tricky-looking part to replace with it sitting on top of the transmission. Thankfully, the alternator and A/C pumps look accessible. The waterpump I'm less sure of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Iridium plugs only require replacing every 100k miles. Not a big deal. I am pretty sure even turbo, a 60k mile change... Now, using a copper tip plug is just not a good decision if this is the case. Iridium plugs outperform copper in every aspect, so why downgrade?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gotta get a decent tuner so the plugs don't foul out. If it is setup right you can make 400whp and not have to change plugs very often. My super sentra has 400hp daily and I am running copper plugs, and have been for about 10k miles. They still look decent.

I guess when you are pushing 500whp+ you will have to change them every few months or so, but really who is going to be pushing that much daily?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Gotta get a decent tuner so the plugs don't foul out. If it is setup right you can make 400whp and not have to change plugs very often. My super sentra has 400hp daily and I am running copper plugs, and have been for about 10k miles. They still look decent.

I guess when you are pushing 500whp+ you will have to change them every few months or so, but really who is going to be pushing that much daily?
Very true. It's still is an inconvenience though. Looking forward to any work arounds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you tried looking at the wheel well?

It should be plastic. Then you remove the tire, the plastic and BINGO!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, Denso iridium plugs are factory. The equiv of an NGK heat range 9. Holy poop thats a frigid plug lol.

I'm running 8s in my 500whp 2.0L and they are overkill. 9s are way cold.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Man.. this is going to be a pain to change plugs.. but yes good call the second i need to change plugs motor mounts are going in! since the motor needs to be moved anyways lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts