Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m currently looking to buy a new BRZ but one of the things which I find a little annoying is the lack of any sort of spare wheel. Cans of ¨gunk¨ just don´t appeal to me if you happen to have a shredded tyre, along way from home and no mobile phone reception. I nearly fell off my chair, when the dealer told me that Subaru wanted 750 UK pounds for one wheel and tyre. (over $1000). Any folks out there done this ? Just wondering if this ¨pricing policy¨ is global or whether it is just us in the UK who are being ripped off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine came with a small spare wheel. I bought from Tirerack.com a set of 4 wheels with tires mounted and balanced for about $1000.

·
Registered
483 Posts
UK only I suspect. Flat tires (tyres) are getting pretty rare. My last 6 cars came with space saver spares and I never used any of them. They last ten years and then are junk whether used or not. You don't actually need a spare tire anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Ragnar, looking to buy an SE LUX. It would appear that is the only version available in the UK at the moment. The only difference I can see between the LUX and the previously available ¨S¨ model is the addition of leather/alcantara heated seats. neither have a spare wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the greatest respect Subieman, not all roads are as good as you guys have out there in Western Canada. :) Pot holes are a constant danger these days in the UK and I just don´t trust the cans of gunk. Agree with you on the space saver wheels tho. I´m looking for a full size 17 inch alloy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Subaru are doing what alot of manufacturers are doing. By not providing a spare wheel, they reduce costs, they give slightly better power to weight ratio and eco figures but in doing so, deny their customers a tried and tested way of fixing a puncture. For me, the old way is the best way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
plenty of wheels and tires on ebay. Scoin FRS wheels are the same as well.
Most of the time they come up in sets for obvious reasons, but from time to time you will find 1 individual wheel and or tire and wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if I want to drive around for 6 months with no spare waiting on E Bay. Maybe I should be asking you guys in the States, Canada, Australia and elswhere is what price your dealers are asking to supply an OEM 17 alloy. The car comes with 4, I would like a 5th. but not for that kind of money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks bee-jay. I had a look there last night. Lots of interesting stuff. Heading off to another dealership today to see if they are prepared to absorb some of the cost for a new wheel and tyre (tire).:). The good thing this time around is I'm in no great rush to get a new BRZ. If the right deal comes along then great if not I can wait. Part of the fun for me is playing one dealership off against the other. My gut tells me when I find a good one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have seen the spare tires on ebay and craiglist for about $100. You could probably find a cheap full size and cheap rim for between $150-$200. I would check tirerack.com for those in the states.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good news and better news. Managed to buy 4 new take offs (wheels and tyres) for two thirds of the price of 1 wheel and tyre from Subaru stealership. New ´ice silver´ BRZ SE LUX ordered and due for delivery next month. So, got the track day tyres, just need the car. :). HAPPY DAYS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts