Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to start the sport tech (limited in the us) if your key fob is dead- say from falling in the lake and three hours away from your spare fob? I read the manual and it only references getting into the car with the mechanical key but nothing on how to start it.

Anyone with better knowledge?

Just clarify it DID NOT happen but i was very concerned of where it was in relation to water....lol

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I am pretty sure that the fob won't be affected by this as there is a chip in there that should still work even if the batter is dead (or immersed in water like you said) as the chip isn't powered by a battery. If you think about the older keys that just had a "chip" inside them, there was no batteries, or anything electric, right?

Just my .02 cents

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I will ask my tech's at the dealership for you to make sure though and report to you on Thursday as tomorrow is my day off.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Ya man, that's a good idea! Why don't you do that and report back to us so we know?!

Hmm.....good point! I guess I can take h battery out and test it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hmmm....good call! I have never heard that, but if that's true, we're eff'd!

I thought these were bluetooth proxy keys? That would mean the battery actually does power a bluetooth radio in the fob.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kinda wish subaru put a mechanicl key receiver like the door handle somewhere so that we could use the mechanical key if the fob dies. Just something to recognize it as the proper key and allows the car to start using the push button like normal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I actually asked the tech guy at the dealership about this before i bought the car. In the manual he showed me somewhere it had directions on what to do. You have to use the regular key to open the door since the transmitter in the fob doesnt work. But there is a chip inside the key fob, so to start the car you have to hold the key fob up to the push start button fo it can read the chip and hold it there for a couple seconds. I dont remember if he said if there was a beep or not to let you know it has read the key. But when the fob is close to the start button it can read the chip inside and then should allow you to start the car like normal.

In short...
1. Open door with key
2. Hold key fob up to start button for a few second
3. Push start button to start car like normal

then you can use the spare until you get a new battery or get the broken fob fixed.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what I thought - without a tech explaining it to me. I guess it isn't bluetooth?

I actually asked the tech guy at the dealership about this before i bought the car. In the manual he showed me somewhere it had directions on what to do. You have to use the regular key to open the door since the transmitter in the fob doesnt work. But there is a chip inside the key fob, so to start the car you have to hold the key fob up to the push start button fo it can read the chip and hold it there for a couple seconds. I dont remember if he said if there was a beep or not to let you know it has read the key. But when the fob is close to the start button it can read the chip inside and then should allow you to start the car like normal.

In short...
1. Open door with key
2. Hold key fob up to start button for a few second
3. Push start button to start car like normal

then you can use the spare until you get a new battery or get the broken fob fixed.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had key fobs in other cars die before and didnt want to get stranded somewhere if this one died so i checked with the dealer before ordering the car, but in the end went with the premium so it turns out i dont have to worry about this anyways

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do not remember the specifics, as the manual is not in front of me, and quickly browsing the online version I couldn't find it ... but when I was reading it, I recall that if you can get into the car, but the keyless entry fob is malfunctioning, the car will be startable if you hold down the button for many seconds -- 15 seconds IIRC.

If someone can find that section, I would feel less crazy, 'cause I know it was in there!

·
Registered
42 Posts
If someone can find that section, I would feel less crazy, 'cause I know it was in there!
Found it! Pages 388,389.

Emergency start function (vehicles with a keyless access with
push button start system)

When the engine does not start, the following steps can be used as
an interim measure to start the engine if the push-button ignition
switch is functioning normally:

Vehicles with an automatic transmission
[*]Set the parking brake.
[*]Put the select lever in P.
[*]Set the push-button ignition switch to “ACC” mode.
[*]Press and hold the push-button ignition switch about 15 seconds
while depressing the brake pedal firmly.
Even if the engine can be started using the above steps, the system
may be malfunctioning. Have the vehicle checked by your SUBARU
dealer.

Vehicles with a manual transmission
[*]Set the parking brake.
[*]Put the shift lever in neutral.
[*]Turn the push-button ignition switch to “ACC” mode.
[*]Push and hold the push-button ignition switch for about 15
seconds while depressing the brake pedal and clutch pedal
firmly.
Even if the engine can be started using the above steps, the system
may be malfunctioning. Have the vehicle checked by your SUBARU
dealer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow thanks for finding that, I guess I missed that in the manual. But according to that, it is technically possible to steal an unlocked car, no?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Actually it's page 393 and 394 and it references holding the key to the start button. But thanks anyways.
That will work if the battery is near drained. (Yeah, the online version probably had different page numbers.)

Wow thanks for finding that, I guess I missed that in the manual. But according to that, it is technically possible to steal an unlocked car, no?
What I posted will work without the key at all. ... well, according to the manual at least. So yeah, it definitely implies that it is fairly straightforward to start the vehicle without the key at all. Time to make sure that alarm is on. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
What I posted will work without the key at all. ... well, according to the manual at least. So yeah, it definitely implies that it is fairly straightforward to start the vehicle without the key at all. Time to make sure that alarm is on. :)

I certainly hope not.

Sorry, greymouser, I don't mean to be argumentative, but I think there's a misunderstanding here. :)

Although the manual did not stipulate the need for a key, it is implied in an early step when they instruct the user to turn the ignition system to ACC. That can only be accomplished in the presence of an authorized key.

If one presses the START button to turn the ignition to ACC (press once), but the authorized key is NOT present, then the keyless access light in the tach flashes in yellow, indicating a fault, which in this instance is an attempt to turn on the ignition system without the presence of the authorized key. The car will not start. Try it; you'll see.

In other words, the car cannot be started unless the authorized key is present within the vehicle. For that matter the ignition system cannot even be turned to ACC position … so the intruder cannot listen to the radio.

Which is as it should be.

Fear not, no one can start our cars without the key. All is well. (Excepting professional thieves, of course.)

But, you had me worried there for a moment. What? No key is needed?! But wait…

Still, I recommend that you learn to turn your alarm system ON. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts