Subaru BRZ Forum banner

321 - 340 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, exhaust and CAI are definitely broken and and they are amazing. My brother is a snobby tuner BMW fag, even he admits it sounds amazing. No drone, quiet at low rpms, kind of 'guttoral' and deep at high rpms. After Ecu adjusted it is noticibly more responsive and feels quicker. I am gonna be getting the unichip ( I got her with 2,500 miles certified pre-owned with warranty till 2020) within the next week, I'll try to post a vid of the exhaust before then. So far only regret is waiting too long to get these sweet and easy mods

·
Registered
87 Posts
I want the Flowmast American Thunder Exhaust - however it appears to just be a pipe system with a muffler - there doesn't seem to be an over/down/or mid pipe in the kit. I think these are imperrative for full exhaust potential. Can someone confirm or deny? IF I did get an over/down pipe any rec's? Also, is it necessary to get new headers? I feel the OEM's do a solid job of flow....Please help!

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
I want the Flowmast American Thunder Exhaust - however it appears to just be a pipe system with a muffler - there doesn't seem to be an over/down/or mid pipe in the kit. I think these are imperrative for full exhaust potential. Can someone confirm or deny? IF I did get an over/down pipe any rec's? Also, is it necessary to get new headers? I feel the OEM's do a solid job of flow....Please help!
The header is probably the biggest restriction in the exhaust. I haven't picked one up yet but I'm installing the Perrin headerback this weekend, then back to the dyno.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I just bout the Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back system for about $450 and it comes with free Hawk Brake pads and free shipping. I've had Flows on almost all my older cars/trucks and have always been a fan of their product. At this point my plan is to replace the Headers and over pipe with Borla UEL and Perrin respectively. I've really wanted to get new brakes for this car but instead of paying Brembo $3k to revamp I'll just piece-mail it with quality and get the same effect. These pads are gonna help decrease the cost even further.

My biggest concern is the pipe diameter - I know OEM is less than 2.5" diameter and most of the piping I'm considering is 2.5" I haven't looked closely enough to see if I would run into fit issues with this Borla/Perrin/Flowmaster set-up. I know there are some phenomenally smart minds on the thread who may be able to shed some light. Also, I'm open to criticism considering this is my first Tuner (I've always been American Muscle, but the FLOWs tipped ya off) PS this is more about sound and satisfaction than performance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I saw that Parrin now has a 3.0' Cat back... Any thoughts?
Cat Back Exhaust 3.0" for FR-S / BRZ
3" exhaust on these cars isn't beneficial at all until you go Turbo. Even the SC guys aren't moving enough air to need a 3" setup. There have been some full 3" systems bolted up to NA builds only to lose 10hp. I'm 2.5 and no issues at all and car pulls hard from 2k to redline with no TQ dip at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quick question. I'm planning on buying my exhaust components piece by piece. I was thinking borla uel and a full perrin setup. Will the borla tie into a stock exhaust? I don't know how patient I can be if I buy that part first.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Quick question. I'm planning on buying my exhaust components piece by piece. I was thinking borla uel and a full perrin setup. Will the borla tie into a stock exhaust? I don't know how patient I can be if I buy that part first.
Yes, any header should bolt to the factory or aftermarket overpipe. I have the Perrin catted headerback and it's awesome.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone that has installed a aftermarket catback took the next setup and did a frontpipe with the stock headers? Any gains in power or is it just change the tone?

·
Registered
22 Posts
GReddy exhaust has to be my favorite sounding BRZ aftermarket exhaust so far, love the aggressive tone it add's, really opens up that FA20. I wonder what performance gains are like from stock to GReddy and GReddy to HKS.

We need some dyno numbers!
I second this! GReddy is my favorite as well!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, any header should bolt to the factory or aftermarket overpipe. I have the Perrin catted headerback and it's awesome.
Thanks! That's good to know. I didn't really want to wait until I got the full setup and spend an entire day/afternoon under the car.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Anyone that has installed a aftermarket catback took the next setup and did a frontpipe with the stock headers? Any gains in power or is it just change the tone?
I just did the whole overpipe/catted front pipe/catback all at the same time. It sounds awesome, very deep but NO drone at highway speeds. It's definitely picked up a little power, but I won't know how much until I go back to the dyno.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the update. Im hoping to keep the drone down when I change the frontpipe. I went with the N1 and like the tone it has now but could see how it could get annoying if it drones much more then it does now over 70

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well I know that the Invidia has a resonated option for the front pipe. Im going to try that 1st other wise yes ill have to add another resonator to the midpipe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In a week or so my BRZ is going under the knife, getting a Full blown turbo kit, Robispec radiator, ACT clutch, and Tomei 80mm titanium single exit exhaust system.

I'll post pics and vids with sound as soon as it's all together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if this has been answered but.... I got a Greddy Evo 3 system coming in soon. I'm barely at 400ish miles, is it too early to change my exhaust system? How long should I wait before installing it? Any tips?

Also if anyone has suggestions on where I could probably get it done around San Jose, CA? I don't have a jack or jack stands or the room for them... and don't plan on investing in some anytime soon, so a DIY is not a possibility at the moment.

Thanks, BTW!

321 - 340 of 347 Posts