Subaru BRZ Forum banner
204K views 346 replies 78 participants last post by  Noxyou52 
#1 ·
Axel back or Catback or Full Race Exhaust.

What's cooking for the BRZ?

I know HKS is coming out with a Hi-Power Spec L and Legamax Premium.

Greddy is coming out with an apparent Evo 2 catback and a Spectrum Elite SE that was on the black Greddy FR-S

Don't know if this video is real

What else is being made? Throw up whatever you find.

#5 ·
I'm curious why you say this. Up until that point all it is is header/cat/and resonator. A resonator is necessary to quench drone. That leaves the purpose of any aftermarket muffler, in my opinion, one of a volume control, nothing more.

Despite what people have speculated, aftermarket headers won't do much better than what's OEM, Subaru did their homework. They'll still need a cat for emissions, so there's not much to be gained there, if any. That leaves just the mid-pipe with the resonator... and nothing is going to improve on it.

Personally, I don't want another car you can hear coming blocks away, like mine is now. Don't get me wrong, I love this STi's SPT exhaust. It fits the car. But the BRZ is a more refined machine, and should have a bark to match its bite... which isn't very vicious. Borla made an exhaust for older Subys that had a sound I'd want in the BRZ... deep, round, dignified. I'll know it when I hear it, but these are not it.

Reactions: KurtisH124
#6 ·
I was wrong. The Legamax is a catback exhaust, they just didn't show it in the video. Both exhausts replace the stock midpipe with the resonator. The difference between the two are pretty substantial though. One is similar to the stock exhaust (but I assume it uses larger piping), and the other uses a Y-pipe and uses 2 separate mufflers. The Spec L to me looks like it has potential to make some power, but we don't know what works on this engine yet unfortunately.

The stock header does look pretty efficient, but in time someone will find something better. Subaru used a 4-2-1 design, but until someone tests other designs, we'll never know. Since this engine is new, it's hard to pin down just what size piping works best and whether a non-stock piping design will be better or worse. From looking at the dyno graphs from this car, some extra torque in the low and midrange wouldn't hurt. Only a dyno will tell the tale.

Lastly, I definitely don't want a droning exhaust on the car either. I want a nice aggressive, deep tone...but not something that is maddening on my daily commute.

#199 ·
I had a Stromung exhaust on my WRX and it was the best sounding that I could find out of the options of Greddy and HKS and others. Much smoother sound and just a nice deep rumble. I have already spoken with the guys at Stromung and they will be making an exhaust within the next few weeks for the BRZ so be on the look out for this as well. I am hoping it has the same generic sound because so far I am with you on not liking anything on the market thus far.

#97 ·
Ahh thank you!!! I just couldnt figure out the way to describe the exhaust exit, you took the words right out of mouth haha...

Does anyone know how these engines will react to an intake/exhaust? I was told by a couple of my buddies that already have subarus that something as simple as a CAI requires a tune? Is that for all of them, or just wrx/sti because of the turbo?

And one last thing... i would love to hear a straight pipe, just for the shits and giggles :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.