Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru BRZ Concept – STi Specifications

Official Subaru BRZ STi specifications (concept). Not much for now but in a in a couple weeks at the L.A. Show we should be getting a full specifications list!

Feel free to discuss these specifications and any spec's you may know of!

Body size (Overall: Length x Width x Height): 166.7 X 70.9 X 50.4 inches
Wheelbase: 101.2 inch
Engine: Subaru Boxer "FA" engine - 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated four-cylinder Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine
Tire size: 215/45R18 (Front), 225/45R18 (Rear)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I don't understand the STi badging. So the power on the STi will be the same as the standard model? Its just appearance improvements? Whats the point of the STi badge. Anyone say not deserving?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Given how so little of any CONCEPT car makes it to production, if it makes it to production in the first place, I wouldn't be concerned with the power plant. I think if/when an STi version is made it'll be turboed. The engine is probably in the r&d stage, given how it's a new engine and all.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't understand the STi badging. So the power on the STi will be the same as the standard model? Its just appearance improvements? Whats the point of the STi badge. Anyone say not deserving?
As I did mention we don't have much Subaru BRZ STi specifications to go off of. What I originally posted was what Subaru put out for now. Very little info.
Usually with an STi trim you get turbo and all. So even with very little info out at the moment, I'm almost sure we WILL get a turbo or turbo's with the "under 300hp boxer engine". My guess, we could expect 350 HP at max from the BRZ STi

·
Registered
140 Posts
i agree give it a year or so... maybe the turbo 400 hp STi model will come out... since it stock is... "300"

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i agree give it a year or so... maybe the turbo 400 hp STi model will come out... since it stock is... "300"
400HP, I don't know about that.

The engine in the FR-S & FT86 has been confirmed to have 197hp. The Subaru BRZ is said to have "under 300hp" and not 300 on point. So going to 400HP on a 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder as a production model doesn't seem doable to me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Expectation about the HP figures in the BRZ really need to be tempered a bit. Otherwise you'll be disappointed when it comes with 200-220hp, which is very likely.

Think about it, how many manufacturers can mass produce an NA engine in excess of 100hp/liter? let alone the 140-150hp/liter you're expecting. Remember this engine isn't even going to rev to 8k rpms. The under 300hp rumors are probably meant for an STi version in a year or two.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i dont think they'll release it with the lower number esp now that Subaru has said that it will sit about 200 and just sub below 300 hp, which would be neat!

Well honda's done it with their motors 1.8L pushing out 200 and 2.0L near pushing out 250hp, and these are old cars, with new technology and a car under development for many many years now with a ton of hype, im sure they were able to hit to the 300 HP mark!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll bet anything that their NA 2 liter will have no more than 220hp from the factory. You're going to be disappointed if you're expecting 280-300hp from the NA model.

And the Honda models you mentioned were special low volume models that rev'd to 8.5-9k rpm. New technology is great, especially direct injection, but Subaru and Toyota aren't reinventing the internal combustion engine here to magically give 150hp/liter.

I think the current power/displacement champ is the Ferrari 458 Italia at around 125hp/liter. This car also revs to 9k and is consider one of the best Ferraris ever made. Subaru isn't going to outproduce Ferrari in terms of power/displacement for a mass production car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Although it looks very close to production, it's still a concept. Turbo or no turbo, I believe an STi model will have more power once officially announced.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Although it looks very close to production, it's still a concept. Turbo or no turbo, I believe an STi model will have more power once officially announced.
hmm, the usual trend I see with concepts and production model versions of them, is that the production model turns out being just like the concept or just has less than the concept.

Agreed there will be no reason to pay 8k more for an sti.
I think the price to upgrade from a BRZ to a BRZ STi will be under $8k, if it's no different from this concept. $5k maybe?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Whats going on with the Subaru BRZ STI suspension, they can't leave that out , especially it being a STI model. Did Subaru do any tuning to the recent STI concept suspension system?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts