Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rumors are flying around that a Subaru BRZ convertible is being considered and just might already be in the works. Apparently the Subaru BRZ chassis was engineered from the start to be used for a convertible version of the Subaru BRZ.

There are also rumors afloat of a potential convertible version. Reports indicate that the chassis was engineered from the get-go to lose its roof and accommodate a droptop, but while Toyota has refused to comment on the prospect, Subaru is reportedly considering it closely.

·
Registered
272 Posts
"under construction" was what Subaru said about the BRZ convertible. But don't expect to see the convertible version at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, I highly doubt we will see anything about the convertible BRZ this year. Subaru BRZ convertible spy pictures have yet to surface so, until then we don't have much to go off of.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The Toyota 86/GT-86 and Scion FR-S got the green light for a convertible, I bet an announcement on a BRZ convertible will come soon enough!

Here are some articles discussing it:

AutoBlog:

Toyota lead developer confirms droptop FT-86

Around the Autoblog virtual office, the Toyota GT-86 is among the most eagerly awaited new models this year. So when we spotted a report in AutoBild that Tetsuya Tada, the chief engineer of the car, has confirmed that a convertible is coming, we got excited.

Of course, we're tempering our excitement with the knowledge that the 2013 Scion FR-S we're getting here in North America isn't the Toyota version. It may be the same actual car save for the brightwork, but when it comes to market positioning and all that stuff, Scion has differing objectives than the parent brand.

While we have heard rumors of a convertible before, they came in the context of the third GT-86 offspring, the Subaru BRZ. If a convertible version of the car ever does see the light of day here in the States, though, we're certainly not going to quibble over its badges.

AutoGuide

Scion FR-S Convertible Coming Confirms Chief Engineer

Watch out Mazda Miata, there’s about to be a new roadster in town.

In an interview, Scion FR-S/Toyota GT 86 lead engineer Tetsuya Tada has confirmed a convertible version of the new sports car is in the works. Tada told Germany’s Autobild that the car was designed from the outset to be a convertible.

The car will no doubt be nearly identical to the coupe, although it’s not clear if it will retain the rear seat area and be a convertible, or drop the extra space in favor of a two-seater roadster configuration.

No date for the car’s launch has been given, but expect it to arrive with the same 197 hp 2.-liter boxer 4-cylinder engine. It should also gain a few pounds compared to the coupe, to maintain structural rigidity. As for pricing, expect a premium of at least $2,000.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can see a convertible FR-S happening but not a BRZ. A convertible Subaru? nawwww
same here I doubt it will happen.

BRZ seems to be the performance king out of the three, I also doubt they will do this on the Subaru. Somewhere I heard after the 2 brand finish production, they will go their own ways with changing and upgrading the car. So chances are a convertible FR-S/86 is just with Toyota/Scion.

If Subaru wanted this im pretty sure it would be announced by now.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Is there anyone actually looking forward to this? Or did anyone actually decide to wait for the convertible instead? Just curioius.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts