Subaru BRZ Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very reliable source noted today that the Subaru BRZ will have around 250BHP. This brings us closer to the official Subaru BRZ horsepower rating. Only weeks ago we were told the Subaru BRZ horsepower rating would be under 300BHP.

What do you guys think about the Subaru BRZ power output being around 250BHP?

Do you still believe it's just a different ECU being used to result in a horsepower increase from the FR-S's 197HP engine to the 250BHP BRZ engine?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wouldn't expect any more than 220hp from an NA 2.0 if rumors are true that the BRZ will have more power than the FR-S

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just read somewhere today about a JDM WRX variant with a 2.0l NA that was putting down 250hp bone stock. Of course, I can't remember where, or the exact car. Figures.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just read the Motor trend drive of the prototype BRZ. It seems they're coming with NA 2.0 w/ Toyota direct injection. The test car had the Aisin 6 speed auto box w/ paddle shifters (as used in the Lexus IS350), and MT estimated the 0-60 @ 6.0 sec.

Thoughts?

I'd like the BRZ to have more ooomph, but am wondering if it's too late in the development cycle, since it's slated for a Spring 2012 release. Most likely any extra power will be held back for the release of a WRX or STi model. My .02 only

·
Registered
126 Posts
Subaru's whole point of the BRZ is a back to basics, less is more pure sports car. While more power is always a good thing, the BRZ wasn't meant to be really fast car. Think of it as a hard top Miata with more style, less girl's car stigma.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well we'll all know in a few days for sure, but this whole thing about the BRZ having more power than the GT86/FR-S leads me to believe it be something marginal like 205hp to justify the BRZ's supposed higher price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well we'll all know in a few days for sure, but this whole thing about the BRZ having more power than the GT86/FR-S leads me to believe it be something marginal like 205hp to justify the BRZ's supposed higher price.
I just read an article quoting a Subaru employee who stated that it will in fact, have about 4-7 more HP than the Scion Version in the US market only.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't believe in anything from anyone unless it's in an official press release from Subaru. Remember 2500lbs? or under 300hp? or 250hp? or different front AND rear bumpers? how about starting in the low 20s?

I'm still holding out hope for the last one, but that one even looks false now.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Don't believe in anything from anyone unless it's in an official press release from Subaru. Remember 2500lbs? or under 300hp? or 250hp? or different front AND rear bumpers? how about starting in the low 20s?

I'm still holding out hope for the last one, but that one even looks false now.
THIS!!

I had really hoped the BRZ would have around 250HP, now it's no different than the Toyota 86 and probably the same situation with the Scion FR-S.
It's still not enough to discourage me from getting the BRZ, or better yet the BRZ STI!

·
Registered
312 Posts
same 200 HP, same weight just a different front end.. same under pinning... i dont get why they released two of the exact same cars with a difference face lift...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Only difference between the Scion version and Subie version is probably gonna be Subies STi trim... I wonder if its gonna have more HP or simply just be lighter with stiffer suspension, nonetheless it will still be faster and handle better than the Scion seeing how they won't offer any kind of variant of the car like this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Subaru will probably give us the 200 hp version and send a turboed version euro bound for a year. We didnt get a turboed factory model until 02.. They had one mid 90s. Hopefuly they dont mess around. Id even consider trading my sti for a brz sti. A rwd better handling sti!? Even if tey used the 265 hp wrx trim turbo n internals, youd still have a car pulling 4sec 0-60s. With a weight like 2700 the better add a turbo :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't expect any more than 220hp from an NA 2.0 if rumors are true that the BRZ will have more power than the FR-S
I'd like the BRZ to have more ooomph, but am wondering if it's too late in the development cycle, since it's slated for a Spring 2012 release. Most likely any extra power will be held back for the release of a WRX or STi model. My .02 only
Subaru's whole point of the BRZ is a back to basics, less is more pure sports car. While more power is always a good thing, the BRZ wasn't meant to be really fast car. Think of it as a hard top Miata with more style, less girl's car stigma.
I'm with WhiteGDB on this one. While I'm not opposed to more power, getting 250 out of an NA will require you to almost always be on the top end of the rev range to get that. Being an S2000 owner, I can say that being up there isn't always a bad thing but I do understand that it may not be for everyone. Besides, if Subaru were to go insane on the NA tuning, then I'm sure the torque figures will suffer for it.

I think that if the car were to get a more dramatic power bump, we're more likely to see it in the STI version. Likely in the 220-230 range. That's not to say there won't be power bumps in subsequent model years, albeit of a more modest 5-or-less HP. Heck, in '04 the S "lost" 3 HP cause it got rated a differently.

·
Registered
864 Posts
"... a reliable source....", "...I just read...." what does this mean?

Hey folks, how about some references. For instance, name of magazine, date of issue, page # or names, dates... I see this lack of references all the time in this forum. I agree, not always necessary but in many case it would make some statements more credible and save me time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.