Subaru BRZ Forum banner
11K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  BRRZ 
#1 ·
Have you guys thought about how much insurance will cost you each month for insuring the Subaru BRZ?
What do you think insurance will be like for the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S/Toyota 86?
What might it cost for you with your age, location, driving record, credit history, insurance company, etc?

Since the Subaru BRZ is nothing like any other vehicle Subaru has, can we expect insurance rates to be significantly different? (higher? lower?)

#3 ·
i never really owned a 2 door rear wheel drive car before so my insurance might be higher than im expecting it to be. I have thought about the cost of insurance but not too worried about it, like how bad can it really be?

driving record.... I had a few speeding tickets in the past but nothing that has caused my rates to go up significantly.

Might be safe to say insurance rates for a BRZ should be close to that of a Miata MX-5 and/or Honda S2000

#4 ·
I was wondering about insurance too. Just to give you guys a data point, I currently have a 2010 MX-5 with power hardtop, which I chose over an S2000 mainly because the insurance was so high on the S2000 (not to mention my 75 mile daily commute).

I also have a Honda Odyssey for family duty and the insurance on the MX-5 is about the same. This is because a large number of MX-5 drivers are elderly gentleman who drive sedately (myself excluded of course), thus bringing down the overall risk. These are the guys that grew up driving British roadsters and wanted a similar experience but with much better reliability.

#5 ·
Unfortunately I doubt the BRZ is going to be driven my elderly matured men or woman. I'm sure its all going to be young audiences who want this car. And that is going to drive the price up. This car is modeled after the famous drift car - toyota corolla ae86. Who doesn't know an 18 year old is going to drift the BRZ into a lamppost.

#8 ·
I am a licensed agent with the state of ks(no longer working), and I can tell you some of the factors that the brz will be rated on work in it's favor. Engine size, back seat, base price, weight, damage it will do to another vehicle it hits, all favor a low price premium. However we do not yet know safety rating(subaru has a good record), since it carries more people if it does not have a high safety rating that can work against it, unfortunately public perception as a sports car will hurt it, the actuaries crunching numbers say that is all they look at, but I think we all know different. like someone said earlier once kids start crashing them premiums go up, this has little to do with you or the car. The truth is the rating for this car shouldn't be any higher than a Honda civic coupe.

#9 ·
It's going to depend on your location.

Different provinces/states/countries have different insurance business methods.

I don't know for sure but I can say that Toronto Ontario Canada probably has some of the most expensive insurance rates in the world. I just moved from Vancouver BC Canada where I paid just under $200 a month for my 2 door acura. I got a quote from most toronto insurance companies for over $500 a month. That is $6000 a year. Thats more then the cars worth.

I've heard that in some state some people pay under $100 a month for insurance.

#10 ·
That is absolutley right in the U.S. your zip codes crime and accident rate, plus average miles driven, and personal driving record are 3 of the biggest factors. However I had left those off because they are specific to the individual, and not the BRZ. Grouping insurance by zones also may not affect rates in every state, since regulations are decided by each states insurance commissioner. This policey has been disputed for a long time as discriminatory, eventhough it does have data to back it. You can ask your local agent, and they will know.

#13 ·
It does. it Also helps insurance in BC is government backed meanwhile in ontario it is a complete private sector.

Also there is a way larger market in the states, they have way more cars and way more people to pay for insurance and cover payouts, mean where here in Canada the ratio is a lot smaller and the companies are even smaller as well!

We just cant compare the 2 markets , and so fourth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.