Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard there's a slight possibility that the BRZ will be getting the same motor as the STI. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I know for a fact that they're not gonna have the same motor as the Scion FR-S. From what little info has been released its been rumored that the BRZ will be a little more powerful.

·
Registered
397 Posts
a RWD only ej20 out of the factory now that will be very interesting....

i wonder how Subaru plans on marketing this, since all their old cars were awd!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Before the BRZ was announced people speculated that the FR-S would be 200hp natural aspirated and the subaru version would be 250hp turbocharged. How much does the ej20 push out stock?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think subaru has a more sportscar idea in mind. Yes the sti is fast and handles great, but with 700lbs less and a 300hp a BRZ would be a force to be reckoned with!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think subaru has a more sportscar idea in mind. Yes the sti is fast and handles great, but with 700lbs less and a 300hp a BRZ would be a force to be reckoned with!!
That is so true, but so far there's no info going around that lets us know we will be seeing a 300hp BRZ any time soon. To get 300HP, the BRZ will need a turbo, ecu flash, I/H/E, and maybe a few others. it's going to get pricey.

·
Registered
397 Posts
it'll get pricey but it wont be anything major i hope!, I/H/R with decent parts it shouldnt cost to much at most maybe 2 k! for quality parts!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's safe to say the FA variant will be their new engine platform for the foreseeable future as its FB cousin is already in the impreza and forester platform with the turbo FA in the JDM legacy. This engine was all about Subaru's strive to meet rising fuel economy needs and it would be pointless to spend more R&D money into a revamped 2.0 when they've already developed two (FB/FA). Just my two cents.

IF, and this is a big if, Subaru decides to boost the FA for the brz, I think the most they'll do is slap on the 2.0DIT from the legacy or some form of it. I think it'll really depend on what type of engine they decide to use for the WRX/STI platform.

I guess the bottom line is do they want the BRZ to compete with their flagship pocket rocket in terms of straight line speed? Or do they want to keep some exclusivity in the AWD dominance?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts