Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This big fish like mouth looks to be a hell of a place to put a FMIC(Front Mount Intercooler)

I wonder if subaru has later plans to turn this body style into a turbo application

·
Registered
312 Posts
maybe the body style may allow it, but i dont think that will happen with this body style at least they plan to keep it different N/A and rwd!

·
Registered
10 Posts
At SEMA I ran into two guys from Subaru while waiting for the shuttle bus from the airport. I told them I was looking forward to the BRZ but then asked them will it really only be 200 hp?

One of them answered, "for now, wait till 2013."

I'm pretty sure the STI version isn't just a prototype, we'll see one soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Autoblog said:
Compared to the Impreza, the BRZ's engine is placed 120 mm lower and 240 mm further back... And that's why there's no turbo, and no plans to include one – the engine occupies the space where Subaru would normally bolt one on.
Sadly, I don't think a turbo will ever be in the cards for this car. However, I don't think that doesn't mean there won't eventually be an STI version more akin to the S2000 CR or 350Z Nismo (aero and chassis/suspension tweaks, maybe a power bump). A bump in power isn't out of the question since I'm sure a revised intake, ECU mapping or some combination thereof would free up a couple more ponies.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/05/2013-subaru-brz-first-drive-review/

·
Registered
1 Posts
So far I'm holding out for the STI. just like the WRX when it came to America, it took a year or so but they ended up giving us the sti, even after all the speculation that it wouldn't come to the US.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Subaru STi's team will give in and eventually devlop it, There is no way even with speculation, this car will receive an STi i still think, but it will have some serious manifold designers to rework things and place things here and there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sadly, I don't think a turbo will ever be in the cards for this car. However, I don't think that doesn't mean there won't eventually be an STI version more akin to the S2000 CR or 350Z Nismo (aero and chassis/suspension tweaks, maybe a power bump). A bump in power isn't out of the question since I'm sure a revised intake, ECU mapping or some combination thereof would free up a couple more ponies.
Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/05/2013-subaru-brz-first-drive-review/

That would be true if they were continuing to place the turbo near the fire wall, but they aren't doing that on the newer engines. If you look at the new engines, they are placed under the engine in the front, making it the perfect location for short runners into the intake manifold using a FMIC. A turbo version has already been video taped, so even if STI doesn't someone else will.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The turbo version will be made, ether Subaru likes it or not, someone has got it to fit and it will fit! its all about where the manifolds go and how they plan to place the turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts