Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First unveiled at the LA Auto Show late last year the Subaru BRZ STI Concept is no longer just a hint at things to come. Just a month ago at the Tokyo Motor Show, the Japanese automaker officially drew back the covers on the production BRZ (while Toyota did the same with its GT 86).

An already impressive machine (read our review of its sibling, the Scion FR-S here), the BRZ makes 200-hp, has an amazing weight balance and a low center of gravity. The STI concept takes the car's performance a step further with custom aerodynamics, larger 18-inch wheels, a light weight carbon fiber hood, custom exhaust and a carbon fiber roof further lowering the car's center of gravity.

More: Subaru BRZ STI Concept Gets Japanese Debut: 2012 Tokyo Auto Salon on Autoguide.com

·
Registered
272 Posts
Subaru calls this BRZ STi a concept but it looks a lot like a production ready BRZ STi. Comparing this the first BRZ STi concept (below), I think we will see this on the streets with very little changes if any.

Subaru BRZ STI concept picture

·
Registered
140 Posts
do want!

but i cannot wait till they release specs im really curious what the people at subaru have in mind for this STi spec version.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i think so too but i want more horsepower!!! lol
Yea I was surprised there was no mention of any change in horsepower on the Subaru BRZ STI. We have yet to see under the hood of this STI model, Subaru hasn't mentioned anything about it, no press release..... NOTHING! I wonder what they're waiting for. There has to be something done to the engine, they can't expect to sell this as a performance model where custom aerodynamics, larger 18-inch wheels, a light weight carbon fiber hood, custom exhaust and a carbon fiber roof are all it's got.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yea I was surprised there was no mention of any change in horsepower on the Subaru BRZ STI. We have yet to see under the hood of this STI model, Subaru hasn't mentioned anything about it, no press release..... NOTHING! I wonder what they're waiting for. There has to be something done to the engine, they can't expect to sell this as a performance model where custom aerodynamics, larger 18-inch wheels, a light weight carbon fiber hood, custom exhaust and a carbon fiber roof are all it's got.
Yeah those are not exactly what i think of the sti division doing. They have to add more horsepower or they are not going to sell any sti models, and if they plan on competing with the genesis, and 370z they need to add at least 80 horsepower and that would make this thing amazing and put the genesis to shame!!! lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
denesis really arnt that fast esp the older ones... a lot of cars can put it to shame... the brz can already smoke a genesis, genesis 2.0T has 220HP @ 3600 LBS , BRZ 200 HP @ 2600 LBS you do the math bud..

·
Registered
126 Posts
denesis really arnt that fast esp the older ones... a lot of cars can put it to shame... the brz can already smoke a genesis, genesis 2.0T has 220HP @ 3600 LBS , BRZ 200 HP @ 2600 LBS you do the math bud..
At least get your numbers correct. 2.0T GC is 3300lbs and BRZ is close to 2800lbs. Also the 2013 2.0T GC is getting upgraded to around 270hp

·
Registered
71 Posts
At least get your numbers correct. 2.0T GC is 3300lbs and BRZ is close to 2800lbs. Also the 2013 2.0T GC is getting upgraded to around 270hp
whitegdb you sound like a genesis owner!!! lol but thats the top genesis i cant wait to see the sti compared to the genesis!!! and twin scroll your right but if this car had 280 horsepower it will be a force to be reckoned with!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
whitegdb you sound like a genesis owner!!! lol but thats the top genesis i cant wait to see the sti compared to the genesis!!! and twin scroll your right but if this car had 280 horsepower it will be a force to be reckoned with!!
No, I am not and would probably never own a Hyundai. And you are wrong, it's not the top model. Top Genesis is the 3.8 liter NA V6 that is slated to have 345hp starting in 2013. The 2013 entry Genesis is a 4cyl 2.0T with 271hp and priced at or below the BRZ.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
No matter how cool people think and say the GenCoupe may be, i'll never drive a GenCoupe. At the end of the day it's still a Hyundai -_-
Hyundai did do well with the Genesis Coupe but it's not as fast as people say.

The BRZ will probably get you more for your money.

·
Registered
341 Posts
there is definetly room for the car to make more horsepower(look at the frs drift car), but I am looking forward to taking the platform and building it into what I want. I think the newest sti concept from tokyo is one of the best looking sti's I have seen, because they didn't go too far overboard with the looks. However they will probably do something more like la concept slapping on a wide body and whale wing out back. I like for my cars to go under the radar.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
there is definetly room for the car to make more horsepower(look at the frs drift car), but I am looking forward to taking the platform and building it into what I want. I think the newest sti concept from tokyo is one of the best looking sti's I have seen, because they didn't go too far overboard with the looks. However they will probably do something more like la concept slapping on a wide body and whale wing out back. I like for my cars to go under the radar.
About the drift car....

Not a lot of people know, but it doesn't use the factory engine. Apparently it's the current Subaru WRX STI motor. Believeable to me since it will take a lot of time to develop all the parts needed to build an engine to make 3x the horsepower it came with from factory. I'll try to dig up more information on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts