Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So apparently the car is rocking 18" wheels for stock wheels which is 1" larger than the Toyota FT-86/ FR-S Concept!

·
Registered
312 Posts
18" seem to be the standard size of rims these days, and that only older cars will be rocking 15-17"

i remember 18-19" wheels would be considered huge and 20" was monstrous but now those wheels sizes just seem normal to us.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great to see these pictures of the Subaru BRZ wheel. I was thinking about upgrading to 19 inch wheels on low profile tires. Clearly there is room to do that as the 18's with those tires which I believe are 225/40R18 rear and 215/40R18 front fit really nice and functional.

Since the tires are different sizes and the BRZ is RWD, I wonder if these wheels are staggered.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Fill the arches well
Don't think it could be lowered

Or maybe :D
Thats a good point.... I wonder if it can be lowered and how low when on 19's. Some cars like the BRZ, once you put 19's on them, it already sits low enough. I think the tires would rub, so a little fender rolling along with a bit of negative camber might help them function properly without any issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keep in mind the performance penalty you'll pay for having the larger wheels.
If you're upgrading the performance, then it might not be so noticeable.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Keep in mind the performance penalty you'll pay for having the larger wheels.
If you're upgrading the performance, then it might not be so noticeable.
That is true, if performance is someone's main objective, I'd say stick with OEM sizing or go slight bigger.
You don't see touring cars with huge wheels on 30 profile tires. As people buy the BRZ and modify them for the track, I guess then we will find out what would be the ideal wheel and tire combo for the ultimate performance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well bigger rims might not be what you want to get performance is to lower the car and get as wide as you can there is no such thing as too much traction for grip, sit the car higher, and try ti fit as wide a rim you can with the widest tire, Tireflush filled with rubber is best!

·
Registered
40 Posts
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2012/01/25/car-feature-gt-gt-subaru-brz-sti-concept.aspx

"It's the 18-inch STI multi-spoke wheels that really make the car, replacing those generic looking rims the BRZ/86/FRS all come with as standard. They measure 7.5Jx18 +48 at each corner and are equipped with sticky Dunlop Direzza ZII, 215/45R18 at the front, and slightly wider 225/45R18 at the rear. And yes, those are STI 4-pot calipers at the front, joining 2-pot items at the rear. This looks like the same braking set up as used on the Impreza WRX STI so you can expect this car, which weighs a good 200 kg less, to have serious stopping capabilities! As you probably noticed this BR STI sits much lower than stock, thanks to the STI-tuned Bilstein dampers."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts