Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These arnt the best shots of the Subaru BRZ, but to me it looks like some sort of R comp and something with a very stiff sidewall!

In the above picture they look to be dunlops?

Front shot of the front tires!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Direzza DZ101 they will be extremely pricey if those were to make it on the production model....but awesome summer tiers!

·
Registered
126 Posts
DZ101s are junk tires and almost all stock tires are going to be pricey. They do that on purpose, because most people don't know how to shop for tires and just get what came stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DZ101s are junk tires and almost all stock tires are going to be pricey. They do that on purpose, because most people don't know how to shop for tires and just get what came stock.
For sure. There is a premium on all tires that come OE because around 30% of people just tell the dealer to replace their tires with the OE ones. I'd recommend the Hankook Ventus V12 evos for that fitment but I'm a bit biased. =-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm going to stick with what works for me. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + tires aren't cheap, but stick like superglue to whatever road surface they're on.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
For sure. There is a premium on all tires that come OE because around 30% of people just tell the dealer to replace their tires with the OE ones. I'd recommend the Hankook Ventus V12 evos for that fitment but I'm a bit biased. =-)
it sucks that people get ripped off by the stealerships like that but to someone who wants to do whats right and knows very little about cars, going with what the manufacture recommends is a safe bet to them.

BTW I was always curious of this but which letter represents the highest tire speed rating?

·
Registered
126 Posts
it sucks that people get ripped off by the stealerships like that but to someone who wants to do whats right and knows very little about cars, going with what the manufacture recommends is a safe bet to them.

BTW I was always curious of this but which letter represents the highest tire speed rating?
It's not the dealers, but rather the tire manufacturer. Tire prices from dealers and independent tire shops are similar, so when someone looks up their stock tires on tirerack.com, they're going to be expensive when compared to other and usually better tires.

As far as speed rating, I think it's either W or Y.

·
Registered
126 Posts
People can learn a lot about tires on tirerack.com Any high performance A/S tires all the way to extreme performance summer tires will have a speed rating high enough for the BRZ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not the dealers, but rather the tire manufacturer. Tire prices from dealers and independent tire shops are similar, so when someone looks up their stock tires on tirerack.com, they're going to be expensive when compared to other and usually better tires.

As far as speed rating, I think it's either W or Y.
The highest speed rating is Z but you don't see that many of them. As of November 2011 only 245,000 Z rated ultra performance tires were shipped from manufacturers in the states out of 14.5 million total in the segment.

The thing with OE tires is the manufacturers make almost nothing selling them to the OEMs. The only way for them to make a profit on the volume is to charge higher prices for the replacement units in the aftermarket.

In my opinion you can ALWAYS find a better tire than the one that came on the car. OE tires are all about compromises and cost cutting to satisfy the OEMs requirements.

Anyway, if you want A/S those Michelins are a good bet. Unlike Goodyear Michelin doesn't compromise quality for cost cutting to the same extent. At least not for the Michelin brand, there are some horrid BFGs and Uniroyals in the market.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll just stick to the companies ive used before, Dunlop, Toyo, Yokohama, and Falken and so fourth... was never a huge fan of Michelin... or goodyear for that fact..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts