Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Come April it's going to be a mighty hard choice for potential owners of the 86 and BRZ. Which car to go for? They are virtually the same vehicle, no major differences except the badges and of course similar prices. However, once the car you see here hits the showroom it's going to be might hard not to go the Subaru route. STI have been teasing us with modified versions of the BRZ, first at the LA Auto Show with the first concept, and now with this closer to production version that was shown at the Tokyo Auto Salon earlier this month.

Thanks to the great guys at STI we were able to spend a few quiet moments with the car yesterday at company's HQ in Mitaka.

It was great to see the STI signature blue shine out in the open, a color that suits the BRZ rather well.

When first announced the whole 86/BRZ project sounded rather strange to many. Some were skeptical about the appeal and potential of the "Toybaru" but I bet nobody is thinking that right now, especially if they have been lucky enough to drive the car! Sure it might not be AWD or turbocharged but the Subaru BRZ and the Toyota 86 are exactly what enthusiasts have been craving. The standard car is built to be a somewhat affordable and fun package, with tons of potential. And it's precisely this potential that STI have tapped into with their interpretation of the BRZ.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

After having built some of the best handling rally cars and road cars in the world, it's safe to say that STI have a very good idea on how to make a great car even better. First up is weight, or rather shedding it. The BRZ drops a few kilograms here and there thanks to nice little details like...

...the carbon fiber roof, which is a great way to improve handling as it lowers the roll center of the car, already very low on the BRZ. This is likely something that will make it to the production version as it's become quite a popular detail on limited edition STI cars, like the already sold-out S206.

The carbon hood is impressively light...

...you can lift it up with a finger but if I had to make a guess I'd say it would be far too expensive to be used on the final version of the car. It's built to very high standards and is as beautiful outside...

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

...as it is on the underside. No FRP understructure here, it's all top grade dry carbon.

Let's move on to the engine.

The direct injected flat-4 has been left stock, the engine bay spiced up with a nice selection of STI "pink bits"...

...starting off with the oil filter and oil cap...

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

...the radiator cap...

...and ending with the flexible tower bar, one of STI's most simple, yet great inventions!

This is the coolest bit of accessorizing I've seen in a while, a battery stay that looks like a mini-STI tower flexible tower bar! I want one for my Legacy!

While performance will remain at 200HP the boxer sound is enhanced by this nice exhaust, which sports massive tail pipes with etched-on STI logo.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

While the carbon side skirts of the first concept from the LA Auto Show are gone this car retains a few minor aerodynamic additions like the front splitter...

...and rear trunk spoiler.

It all makes for a very nice and subtly enhanced look.

It's the 18-inch STI multi-spoke wheels that really make the car, replacing those generic looking rims the BRZ/86/FRS all come with as standard. They measure 7.5Jx18 +48 at each corner and are equipped with sticky Dunlop Direzza ZII, 215/45R18 at the front, and slightly wider 225/45R18 at the rear. And yes, those are STI 4-pot calipers at the front, joining 2-pot items at the rear. This looks like the same braking set up as used on the Impreza WRX STI so you can expect this car, which weighs a good 200 kg less, to have serious stopping capabilities! As you probably noticed this BRZ STI sits much lower than stock, thanks to the STI-tuned Bilstein dampers.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That front protruding lip spoiler definitely adds tons of aggression to the front!

Just in case you were wondering, BRZ stands for Boxer, Rear wheel drive, Zenith

Inside it's all pretty much stock, maybe the final production car will get special STI seats but having driven the 86 fitted with the same chairs, I can't really fault them in any way as they are both comfortable and supportive enough for the occasional track day. And that is something you can't say for the majority of seats in new Japanese cars!

The latest-gen Carrozzeria navigation/audio system from Pioneer graced the double-DIN space in the dashboard, probably something that will be available from the no-doubts vast, dealer option catalogue.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

STI branded accessories included the shift knob...

...and the pink STI engine start button.

The borderless rearview mirror is something the BRZ and the 86 both get, but won't be available in the more cost-conscious FRS.

The main instrumentation in the BRZ is a little different from the 86, with a red on black analogue gauges and more Subaru looking number-design. Only 9 km on the odometer!

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The 2+2 layout does make the car very practical when you need to carry the odd friend, although leg room is very limited.

When folded flat they do give a lot of loading space and you can definitely squeeze a set of track wheels and various tools...

...in through the trunk.

So there you have it. It might not be available until the very end of the year, or early next year, but the STI version of the BRZ serves up an even more mouth-watering proposition to the most anticipated car of the year. Question is, if you are in the market for one of these cars, would you wait that long?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Not much has changed. Don't know if anyone can justify the upgrade. The carbon fiber hood is really nice though. The quality is amazing. Look at the fitment and the build quality. I'd love to get my hands on that hood. Is the roof carbon fiber?

Wait a second start spec z2? There is a z2? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is shit wtf!!!!!! This is such a waste they are going to charge us probably 8k more for pink logos, push to start, and the sti badge???? and their is no way that they are leaving the carbon fiber hood, i am very disappointed with this, because i really loved this car!!! if the sti doesnt have hp increase im just going to get a 370z.

·
Registered
762 Posts
This is shit wtf!!!!!! This is such a waste they are going to charge us probably 8k more for pink logos, push to start, and the sti badge???? and their is no way that they are leaving the carbon fiber hood, i am very disappointed with this, if the sti doesnt have hp increase im just going to get a 370z.
I know how you feel, seems like all they did was pretty up a normal BRZ. I still fail to understand why no turbo, doesn't make sense to me. Didn't all "STi" Subaru's come with a turbo?

Will we even notice the performance gains with a CF roof and hood, i don't think so

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know how you feel, seems like all they did was pretty up a normal BRZ. I still fail to understand why no turbo, doesn't make sense to me. Didn't all "STi" Subaru's come with a turbo?

Will we even notice the performance gains with a CF roof and hood, i don't think so

yes every single sti version has a turbo it makes no sense what so ever!!! I really like this car but i want some hp to have some fun with and i dont think they will sale many sti's if they dont gain horsepower terrible mistake subaru!!!! and i liked your picture

·
Registered
762 Posts
yes every single sti version has a turbo it makes no sense what so ever!!! I really like this car but i want some hp to have some fun with and i dont think they will sale many sti's if they dont gain horsepower terrible mistake subaru!!!! and i liked your picture
I just had to make that meme picture lol...

I don't think the public is asking for a lot here. I bet everyone would be happy if the BRZ STI made 250HP and 230WHP with the addition of a turbo.

A turbo kit adding 50hp can't be that much, $2000 maybe?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just had to make that meme picture lol...

I don't think the public is asking for a lot here. I bet everyone would be happy if the BRZ STI made 250HP and 230WHP with the addition of a turbo.

A turbo kit adding 50hp can't be that much, $2000 maybe?
Yeah for a nice one, i just dont get it they are capable of easily making 70 more horsepower, why not do it and sell more model's? it is just stupid!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The WRX STI is 4 doors and is AWD. The BRZ is 2 doors and RWD. The WRX STi is 300hp. Starts at 35K.

They could have made the BRZ 250hp and have it just $5000 cheaper then the STi. I think those who want the STi are willing to pay the extra 5000 to get the WRX STi over the BRZ. And those who aren't would buy the BRZ. Either way to business goes to Subaru. And you can never replace the fans of the AWD WRX STi. Do you have any idea how many guys would terrorize the Subaru headquarters building if they made the WRX RWD today?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would rather spend $5000 to upgrade the turbo on the BRZ STi and make it 400whp rather then buy the WRX STi. Personally rather have a BRZ then a WRX anyways. So Subaru DOES loose business for the WRX STi. That is why they would never turbo this thing. The WRX model has to sell well and hit a certain target in order for Subaru to get the money back that they invested into the WRX STi, Which is alot... All the research and development. All so some guys will jump to the BRZ because its cheaper. Now say the BRZ and WRX were the same price. Now that is different. If they were the same price then some guys might go for the WRX instead because it is all wheel drive. But at the end of the day Subaru will still loose business to the BRZ and that is something they DON'T want.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts