Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Subaru teased the world with the BRZ STI concept at the LA Auto Show last year, and it now appears as though the automaker will live up to expectations, delivering a high-performance version of its new sports car.

In a recent interview, Subaru global marketing boss Atoshi Atake admitted as much, commenting that the company has been inundated with requests for a more powerful model. "Let me say this we will certainly satisfy our customers," said Atanke frankly. "We are already working on a faster version."

As a concept, the BRZ STI was outfitted with a custom aero package, larger 18-inch wheels, high-performance tires, a massive rear spoiler and even a carbon fiber roof to further reduce the car's already low center of gravity. The show car, however, continued to use the direct-injection 2.0-liter boxer 4-cyldiner with 197 hp.

While past brand history would indicate an STI version would use a turbo, that's not the case here, with Atake saying that basic modifications to the intake and exhaust, as well as a higher rev limit could up power. In fact, Atake swore off a BRZ Turbo commenting that, "we want to keep turbocharging separate. It is for models like the WRX STI."

In addition, Atake hinted that the BRZ could get a roadster variant, a real likelihood considering GT 86 lead engineer Tetsuya Tada has already said a GT 86 convertible is on the way.

More: Subaru BRZ to Get "Faster Version" Confirms Marketing Boss on Autoguide.com

·
Registered
50 Posts
What I'm really interested in is the body...is it going to look exactly like that production-version concept? and what upgrades are there to the interior....i cant wait to find out

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like that wide body! keep it N/A with around 260 hp from non turbo mods, lighter, and more agressive body kit and I am in.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I really like that wide body! keep it N/A with around 260 hp from non turbo mods, lighter, and more agressive body kit and I am in.
Subaru just could answer all your wishes, everything except for the widebody seems to be happening. Widebody would be a really nice touch to the whole STi theme.

·
Registered
187 Posts
how much power do you think they could squeeze out without forced induction or larger displacement?
at least 50HP, I think anything more than that will send the BRZ STi into a price range that will have people looking at other cars.

if Subaru can deliver a BRZ STi that looks like the one speedhunters did an article on and throw in 50HP all for $35k, i'm sure a lot of people wont have a problem paying that

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it costs $35k with no forced induction, it better be pulling 1.0g in every magazine test I read. :(

i too agree it be better without the wing. i like the low profile wing i saw at the dallas auto show brz.
I went to the Dallas Auto Show on the last day, and I was actually surprised at how much smaller the BRZ was than what I expected. I think that made me love it even more though, and the low-pro spoiler did look sharp.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
If it costs $35k with no forced induction, it better be pulling 1.0g in every magazine test I read. :(

I went to the Dallas Auto Show on the last day, and I was actually surprised at how much smaller the BRZ was than what I expected. I think that made me love it even more though, and the low-pro spoiler did look sharp.
If we look at Subaru's history and apply it to the future, it seems as if we SHOULD get a turbo in the BRZ STi. The concept never had it but it could just be they needed time for development, which they probably didnt have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If we look at Subaru's history and apply it to the future, it seems as if we SHOULD get a turbo in the BRZ STi. The concept never had it but it could just be they needed time for development, which they probably didnt have.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if there would be room for a TMIC on the BRZ. To me, that is a very telling detail. Looking at Subaru's history also tells us that they use TMIC in lieu of FMIC for rally purposes. Even though everyone knows this car isn't meant for rallying, I doubt Subaru would adopt a FMIC for just one car in their line up. Ergo, Subaru won't be boosting the BRZ :(.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if there would be room for a TMIC on the BRZ. To me, that is a very telling detail. Looking at Subaru's history also tells us that they use TMIC in lieu of FMIC for rally purposes. Even though everyone knows this car isn't meant for rallying, I doubt Subaru would adopt a FMIC for just one car in their line up. Ergo, Subaru won't be boosting the BRZ :(.
I was about to mention that.
There's almost NO space under the hood for a turbo. I wonder how they will go about the power gains. Bigger engine I guess? 2.5L boxer engine? hmmm

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was about to mention that.
There's almost NO space under the hood for a turbo. I wonder how they will go about the power gains. Bigger engine I guess? 2.5L boxer engine? hmmm
I tend to think they will tune the 2.0 harder. From my reading and watching online of the official Subaru media, they are genuinely stoked to be offering a new type of performance car and one that it completely different to their traditional offerings.

A bigger engine will mean more weight and the 2.5 without a turbo is nothing special. Whilst the STI concept was just some bolt on bits and pieces, all the hints are that it will stay 2.0 and NA. With forged bits, stiffer valve springs, ECU remap, induction and exhaust tweeking in addition to bolt on concept parts I can see a 190kw NA weapon being on offer that will stay light weight and true to the original idea surrounding the BRZ

·
Registered
200 Posts
I seriously doubt Subaru would cripple their WRX STi sales with the release of a turbo BRZ STi. Keeping the BRZ and the STi model of it RWD and NA they can keep it in its own class, while still appealing to those interested in the WRX STi market. The fact that they can allegedly pull 250hp out of the NA form of the BRZ STi is already impressive enough to me in my book. Having the 600lbs or whatever it is weight advantage will also help make up for its shortcomings in the hp department.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Subaru has said they will turbo the 2.0L motor, but they also said the BRZ won't be turbo'd. So most likely the 2.0L turbo will end up in the next WRX.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The brz is a great car for the price some argue it's not. There are options out there cars with high hp for the dollar like a mustang or corvette or car's that are refined much more with less hp like the brz and porsche. If porsche make a 25k car like this it would have been something ike this. I would love the upgraded brz to have the following

1. Motor a 2.0 making 240-260hp depending on cost at this point it would need to rev to around 8200-8400 to hit that so let it rev to 8600rpm. Hey the s2k hit 9k and made 240 hp worth lower compression so this will be some work but Honda pulled this off in 2000 so 12 years later this should not be all that hard it's just a matter of cost 240 vs 260 could be a big difference in cost if it can be done maybe option if possible a larger bore to make it a 2.1 or 2.2 that can still rev and offer more torque this can be cheaper than staying with a 2.0.

2. weight try to love 100-150 lbs sounds hard but can be done lighter wheels yet still 17" rotors go to a 2pc saving more weight lighter shocks etc this would be a cost vs gain thing but I bet lbs can be shed lighter materials less sound deadaning lighter exhasut etc.

3. Most important keep dialed in terms of balance braking cornering grip etc. What I mean by that this car seems very balanced even where the stock tread suits the car just right. So a suspension that is set up for the new power and summer tread along the lines of a dunlap direza should offer enough grip on a 17 by 7.5 rim and still be able to let loose. Keeping the steering ratio appropriate for the new power etc.

Doing this it would be around the lines in balance of a 98 integra type r which imo is as raw or damm close to a evo 8. what I mean by that it would be dd and all but sacrifice a bit for the great performance it offers.

It would be a low 14 second car nothing earth shattering in acceleration but enough will whip around auto x and not be raped at the track.

I have a 08 evox with a fp green etc 430 whp it's a fun beast but now as raw as a evo 8 a better dd and is faster on the track that n a 8 with all it's aide etc but lack's a little of the rawness I keep talking about. I might get a brz since it has room to mod and looks like it could be the raw car I want for a fun autox car and ditch the evo for a dd like a plain car like a accord.

This car is gonna rock

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
The brz is a great car for the price some argue it's not. There are options out there cars with high hp for the dollar like a mustang or corvette or car's that are refined much more with less hp like the brz and porsche. If porsche make a 25k car like this it would have been something ike this. I would love the upgraded brz to have the following

1. Motor a 2.0 making 240-260hp depending on cost at this point it would need to rev to around 8200-8400 to hit that so let it rev to 8600rpm. Hey the s2k hit 9k and made 240 hp worth lower compression so this will be some work but Honda pulled this off in 2000 so 12 years later this should not be all that hard it's just a matter of cost 240 vs 260 could be a big difference in cost if it can be done maybe option if possible a larger bore to make it a 2.1 or 2.2 that can still rev and offer more torque this can be cheaper than staying with a 2.0.

2. weight try to love 100-150 lbs sounds hard but can be done lighter wheels yet still 17" rotors go to a 2pc saving more weight lighter shocks etc this would be a cost vs gain thing but I bet lbs can be shed lighter materials less sound deadaning lighter exhasut etc.

3. Most important keep dialed in terms of balance braking cornering grip etc. What I mean by that this car seems very balanced even where the stock tread suits the car just right. So a suspension that is set up for the new power and summer tread along the lines of a dunlap direza should offer enough grip on a 17 by 7.5 rim and still be able to let loose. Keeping the steering ratio appropriate for the new power etc.

Doing this it would be around the lines in balance of a 98 integra type r which imo is as raw or damm close to a evo 8. what I mean by that it would be dd and all but sacrifice a bit for the great performance it offers.

It would be a low 14 second car nothing earth shattering in acceleration but enough will whip around auto x and not be raped at the track.

I have a 08 evox with a fp green etc 430 whp it's a fun beast but now as raw as a evo 8 a better dd and is faster on the track that n a 8 with all it's aide etc but lack's a little of the rawness I keep talking about. I might get a brz since it has room to mod and looks like it could be the raw car I want for a fun autox car and ditch the evo for a dd like a plain car like a accord.

This car is gonna rock
Great Read.

I'm with you on this one. I think the BRZ is well worth the MSRP it's going for. I rather have a much more refined car like the BRZ over say a Mustang, Camaro, etc. I just feel a car like the BRZ will be much more enjoyable, especially in the twisties which it was built for.

1. That sounds very possible, what do you think the chances are of Subaru creating an all new engine for the Subaru BRZ STi, such as a 2.5L Turbo engine, FA25T?

2. Not sure if you saw the production model-like Subaru BRZ STi Speedhunters featured, it had a carbon fiber roof and hood. I think if Subaru gives us a CF roof it will help in the long run as that won't be an aftermarket option.

3. I expect the typical STi upgrades to go on the BRZ, bigger brakes, aggressive suspension, etc to compliment the extra power. This is something Subaru WILL do, they already did it with the Limited and Premium BRZ.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A subie Fa25t? hmm I am gonna say no If they go with a turbo to keep weight distribution I bet It would be a 2.0 making 280 hp or so. This would cost a lot less to do than a 2.5 with no altering the rest that goes around the motor for mass production but as much as I love boost like I have now pushing 28 psi lol I think a raw na like I stated eralier a 2.0 2.1 0r even 2.2 overbore would suit thsi car better for delicate corner control despite having less torque.

2. Carbon roof ehh to much mony for little weight savings that can be had elsewhere that roof is small and if I read right is steel so going to aluminum would save lbs and lower the center of gravity. for less dough switching steel parts to aluminum vs steel the same lbs can be lost for mush less money.

3. I hope sti parts bolt on that would be nice we will see.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts