Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sources from Subaru of America revealed of a turbo in development for the Subaru BRZ's 2.0-liter flat-four FA20 engine.

Compact in size, FA20′s square 86x86mm bore and stroke plus a trick D4S port and direct injection system allow the engine to produce 197-hp and 151 lb.-ft. of torque. No word on the turbo's engine output, its size, and its applications for the new powerplant yet, but we believe the addition of a turbo will make way for a standout BRZ STI in the future.

However, Subaru has not yet confirmed development on a turbocharged BRZ, but the anticipated release of a new Impreza WRX variant implicates a need for a turbo FA20 there as well.

More: Subaru BRZ Turbocharging Rumors Surface on Autoguide.com

·
Registered
84 Posts
we need this turbo model asap, atm teh brz, fr-s & gt86 all have the same horsepower and torque numbers, i expected the brz to be the most powerful version of all 3 from the start. i might be waiting for the brz turbo instead of buying the naturally aspirated version once it's released.

now it seems like whoever buys a brz, fr-s or 86 is buying it based on the brand or availability, rather than features.

·
Registered
77 Posts
we need this turbo model asap, atm teh brz, fr-s & gt86 all have the same horsepower and torque numbers, i expected the brz to be the most powerful version of all 3 from the start. i might be waiting for the brz turbo instead of buying the naturally aspirated version once it's released.

now it seems like whoever buys a brz, fr-s or 86 is buying it based on the brand or availability, rather than features.
well the BRZ and 86 seem to be better equipped in comfort features mainly in the interior when compared to the fr-s.. but yeah your right mechanically about the same

·
Registered
84 Posts
well the BRZ and 86 seem to be better equipped in comfort features mainly in the interior when compared to the fr-s.. but yeah your right mechanically about the same
really? I saw pictures of interior's from all three models and they seemed to be almost the same aside from some minor details.
what does the BRZ and GT 86 have that makes it better than the FR-S?

·
Registered
77 Posts
really? I saw pictures of interior's from all three models and they seemed to be almost the same aside from some minor details.
what does the BRZ and GT 86 have that makes it better than the FR-S?
Interior wise.. the plastic looks less cheap in the BRZ and GT86 also things such as automatic climate control, push button start, leather seats, HID headlights are all options that the FR-S doesn't seem to have

·
Registered
1 Posts
I honestly don't know how reliable this is. Only I wish that this would be true.

Sources from Subaru of America revealed of a turbo in development for the Subaru BRZ's 2.0-liter flat-four FA20 engine.

Compact in size, FA20′s square 86x86mm bore and stroke plus a trick D4S port and direct injection system allow the engine to produce 197-hp and 151 lb.-ft. of torque. No word on the turbo's engine output, its size, and its applications for the new powerplant yet, but we believe the addition of a turbo will make way for a standout BRZ STI in the future.

However, Subaru has not yet confirmed development on a turbocharged BRZ, but the anticipated release of a new Impreza WRX variant implicates a need for a turbo FA20 there as well.

More: Subaru BRZ Turbocharging Rumors Surface on Autoguide.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not sure I would wait for the turbo version. Something tells me it wouldn't come. Toyota has a lot to loose if the BRZ gets a turbo and the FRS doesn't. None of the Scion brands have turbos.

Greddy is already build a FRS with a turbo and I k ow they are going to be coming to market with one for it. In addition to that I've contacted AMS performance and they are going to as well. I heard Crawford performance was too. There are going to be a ton of options out there without having to wait for it from the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I'm not sure I would wait for the turbo version. Something tells me it wouldn't come. Toyota has a lot to loose if the BRZ gets a turbo and the FRS doesn't. None of the Scion brands have turbos.

Greddy is already build a FRS with a turbo and I k ow they are going to be coming to market with one for it. In addition to that I've contacted AMS performance and they are going to as well. I heard Crawford performance was too. There are going to be a ton of options out there without having to wait for it from the factory.
Good Info!

Now that I look into the idea of a factory turboed Subaru BRZ, I agree it won't be worth the wait. Rather get the BRZ as we know it and go from their.

What do you think we can expect to pay for a kit that add's 50-100 HP?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Turbo kits are relatively cheap. If you look at the Greddy kit for the TC it's only $3300 I think. My guess is the BRZ would be around $4500 with an exhaust manifold. The biggest thing we would have to worry about is the 12.5:1 compression ratio the stock motor is running. I don't think it could handle more than 3 PSI, just a guess though. I think we would need to switch out the pistons for 9.0:1 pistons. Hopefully some company will quickly explore the limits of the BRZ motor so we know if we need to switch out the rods at the same time. While its apart I would do if just to make sure.

I'm not to worried about the crank shaft, Subaru builds them pretty tough! With those things being done you could expect between 75-150 HP gains depending on the size of the turbo, PSI you are running, the compression ratio you're running and the tune. I think you could easily run as much as 425 WHP assuming Subaru has continued to build their blocks the way that have in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Turbo kits are relatively cheap. If you look at the Greddy kit for the TC it's only $3300 I think. My guess is the BRZ would be around $4500 with an exhaust manifold. The biggest thing we would have to worry about is the 12.5:1 compression ratio the stock motor is running. I don't think it could handle more than 3 PSI, just a guess though. I think we would need to switch out the pistons for 9.0:1 pistons. Hopefully some company will quickly explore the limits of the BRZ motor so we know if we need to switch out the rods at the same time. While its apart I would do if just to make sure.

I'm not to worried about the crank shaft, Subaru builds them pretty tough! With those things being done you could expect between 75-150 HP gains depending on the size of the turbo, PSI you are running, the compression ratio you're running and the tune. I think you could easily run as much as 425 WHP assuming Subaru has continued to build their blocks the way that have in the past.
Very true. I guess anyone serious about making a lot of power with the BRZ with the addition of a turbo will do some serious building on the internals first as well as pistons before even touching a turbo. Sounds like getting decent power gains will be expensive with the BRZ, hopefully not as much as I think it will be.

What type of piston would you go with if you wanted to get 400-500 HP from the BRZ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
With all this talk about turbos and the brz motor not being able to handle it, theres always the option for the motor swap. You always could see if the new wrx/sti motor will fit. That give you a 2.5 instead of 2.0 and turbo. No but really, do you guys think a swap would fit or be able to work?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just hope these arnt rumors and become true, it only makes sense for subaru to rework the manifold and other things to make the turbos fit... i mean if a forumla D team and stuff a built coswroth motor in there im sure all of subaru japan can put one in there....

·
Registered
295 Posts
300 HP N/A... custom Cams, springs retainer valves tune, final drive, injectors pistons rings and and a tune from there with a free flowing exhaust. it just sounds beastly, but to make any real power turbo is the way to go..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree, turbo is the easiest way to get there. I'm just hoping that they designed a strong block from the get go that can handle that kind of power with out have to replace everything.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It makes sense to us just to have a factory turbored BRZ but would it make sense to Subaru? A turbo BRZ might sky rocket the original price. I think it will happen, just at the right time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts