Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru BRZ: What does "BRZ" stand for and why did Subaru choose "BRZ"

Ever since finding out about the Subaru sports coupe called the BRZ, I always wondered what "BRZ" stands for and why Subaru picked that name?
Other versions of the BRZ are the Toyota FT-86 and Scion FR-S.

·
Registered
187 Posts
"brz" is quite easy to break down once you know what the car is about. this is what i got from a article:

The letters BRZ stand for Boxer engine, Rear-wheel drive and Zenith - which confirms serveral facts.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
"SUBARU BRZ". "BRZ" stands for "Boxer engine", "Rear-wheel drive" and "Zenith."

No, we don't mean a cheap brand of TVs. Actually, Subaru says that the name is an expression of confidence in the "Horizontally-Opposed Subaru Boxer engine."

*shrug*

·
Registered
762 Posts
Boxer subaru , rwd not subaru...

but what does zenith mean?
From Wikipedia:

In general terms, the zenith is the direction pointing directly "above" a particular location; that is, it is one of two vertical directions at the location, orthogonal to a horizontal flat surface there. The concept of "above" is more specifically defined in astronomy, geophysics and related sciences (e.g., meteorology) as the vertical direction opposite to the net gravitational force at a given location. The opposite direction, i.e. the direction of the gravitational force is called the nadir. The term zenith also refers to the highest point reached by a celestial body during its apparent orbit around a given point of observation.[1] This sense of the word is often used to describe the location of the Sun, but it is only technically accurate for one latitude at a time and only possible at the low latitudes.

now i see why they threw in Zenith, hope the BRZ won't be crappy like the Zenith TV's loll

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From Wikipedia:

In general terms, the zenith is the direction pointing directly "above" a particular location; that is, it is one of two vertical directions at the location, orthogonal to a horizontal flat surface there. The concept of "above" is more specifically defined in astronomy, geophysics and related sciences (e.g., meteorology) as the vertical direction opposite to the net gravitational force at a given location. The opposite direction, i.e. the direction of the gravitational force is called the nadir. The term zenith also refers to the highest point reached by a celestial body during its apparent orbit around a given point of observation.[1] This sense of the word is often used to describe the location of the Sun, but it is only technically accurate for one latitude at a time and only possible at the low latitudes.

now i see why they threw in Zenith, hope the BRZ won't be crappy like the Zenith TV's loll
Great choice of name by Subaru. On paper the BRZ seems great but we will have to wait and see if it can live up to it's Zenith name and be above the rest with some in-depth reviews and track tests.

I think the BRZ being tested on the nurburgring will be the real test for nearly every performance aspect of the BRZ.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Great choice of name by Subaru. On paper the BRZ seems great but we will have to wait and see if it can live up to it's Zenith name and be above the rest with some in-depth reviews and track tests.

I think the BRZ being tested on the nurburgring will be the real test for nearly every performance aspect of the BRZ.
well... with Subaru, Scion and Toyota saying this car will have "the lowest possible center of gravity of any production car" and really good weight distribution, i would imagine the same effort would be put into the rest of the BRZ's vital performance components. That sums up some of the Zenith part.

·
Registered
456 Posts
From Wikipedia:

Lmao at Zenith tvs comment hahaha

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've already had someone ask, "BRZ...as in Breeze?!" I just gave them that 'you're stupid for asking' look. Yeah. I drive a Subaru Breeze.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Imagine they made the BRZ into AWD as previously discussed in this forum. Replace the R with an A and now you got a BAZ. Would you have bought a BAZ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts