Subaru BRZ Forum banner

Who deserves credit for the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86/Scion FR-S?

• Subaru

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Toyota

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Both brands deserve equal credit

Votes: 4 50.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who deserves credit for the whole project that in the end, leaves us with the Subaru BRZ, Toyota 86, Toyota GT86 & Scion FR-S?

Is it;

Toyota?
Subaru?

or

Do both brands deserve equal credit?

A breakdown of what each brand brought to the table:

Subaru:

- Suspension
- Engine
- and everything else

Toyota

- Planning
- Design
- D4-S Fuel Injection System
- Helped with keeping the vehicle light as possible

Giving credit where credit is due isn’t always easy when corporate egos are involved, a fact illustrated by recent dissension between joint venture partners Suzuki and Toyota concerning who deserves more credit for the sports coupe project that resulted in the GT 86/BRZ twins.

Subaru’s Australian managing director, Nick Senior, has claimed that car’s sharp handling and sporty soul are attributable to Subaru.

“The product planning and the design was done by Toyota but the rest is a Subaru. And I think the rest is the DNA piece that gives it its driving characteristics. It’s a fun car to drive.”

Senior’s words followed an earlier comment from Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada stating that all-wheel drive (a technology implemented in all Subaru vehicles save the BRZ) added unneccesary weight and could contribute to a glut of technology items that make driving “boring.”

“Many new sports cars have high-performance tires, turbo technology and four-wheel-drive,” Tada said. “The car is controlled using high-tech. As a result the car is heavier, the prices are higher, so it’s not affordable to everybody.”

“Cars are fun only when it is the driver that is in control. That is what sports cars should deliver to our customers,” he said.

The back and forth between Subaru and Toyota executives hints at the sometimes tumultuous give-and-take between the companies that existing during the development of the GT 86/BRZ twins.

“Both Toyota and Subaru has their own philosophy and pride in car making,” Tada said. “There was a lot of frustration, arguments and discussions.”
http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-subaru-squabble-over-credit-for-sports-coupe.html

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I can see why some people might vote for Subaru, firstly because this is a Subaru BRZ forum and secondly because Suspension and Engine do make up for a large percent of this car and any car really. But I think both brands did put in the same amount of effort into the car.

The only major noticeable thing Toyota did with these cars is the design, but, planning for a whole new vehicle is a large tasks and involves a lot.

·
Registered
312 Posts
it is a Subaru motor, but Subaru is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, and Toyota has huge shares in fuji heavy industries...soo i would have to to say toyota on this one..

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
They both are involved. They both have products coming out of the equation so both of them are involved. Doesn't matter who involved more... Still a collaboration. At first I thought the motor was from Toyota and was quite surprised when it was not turbo considering both Subaru and Toyota have been known to push our turbo motors in the past for their sports cars. I think a turbo on the Toyota 86 and BRZ would have made this car a HUGE winner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts