Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys. Now that my brz has officially completed break in, I will be doing my first oil change on saturday and will also be doing some serious investigating into some warranty concerns I have. I am technician at a subaru dealer here in canada and will be spending my own time looking into any warranty problems or concerns you guys have with the brz. I myself have the fuel chirping underhood noise, transmission rattle/clunk noise as well as a buzzing noise from the steering column area on deceleration ONLY. I have taken all the Subaru training for the brz and will be going in depth with this car on saturday to hopefully find some remedies to these problems, quite a bit more than what the dealers are telling you im sure. So heres my list, if you guys want to add to it anytime I will pursue any problems you would like to have me address. I have been crazy busy lately and havent had much time to contribute to the forum, so I hope this helps you guys out!!!

1. Fuel pump chirping under hood.
2. Transmission rattle/clunk
3. Buzzing noise from steering column under deceleration

·
Registered
762 Posts
This is awesome. Just what this forum needed. Chirping under the hood seems to be a common issue as im going through threads and finding out this is happening more and more.

Transmission rattle/clunk - Haven't read much on that but can someone expand more on that? or direct me to a thread with it? same for #3

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey guys. Now that my brz has officially completed break in, I will be doing my first oil change on saturday and will also be doing some serious investigating into some warranty concerns I have. I am technician at a subaru dealer here in canada and will be spending my own time looking into any warranty problems or concerns you guys have with the brz. I myself have the fuel chirping underhood noise, transmission rattle/clunk noise as well as a buzzing noise from the steering column area on deceleration ONLY. I have taken all the Subaru training for the brz and will be going in depth with this car on saturday to hopefully find some remedies to these problems, quite a bit more than what the dealers are telling you im sure. So heres my list, if you guys want to add to it anytime I will pursue any problems you would like to have me address. I have been crazy busy lately and havent had much time to contribute to the forum, so I hope this helps you guys out!!!

1. Fuel pump chirping under hood.
2. Transmission rattle/clunk
3. Buzzing noise from steering column under deceleration

Cool. You seem like a nice guy, so please make sure you won't have any issues with distributing information indirectly as an employee ;-).

In regard to the transmission- I've noticed an odd sound when shifting around 7000RPM or a touch higher with the AT when it shifts. Below that, nothing but it is like a very mild "bang" sound. Is that similar or are you considering something else?

R

·
Registered
94 Posts
Transmission rattle/clunk - Haven't read much on that but can someone expand more on that? or direct me to a thread with it? same for #3
I don't know if others have the "clunk" I have, since I haven't looked around yet. But what I experience is, about 50% of the time, when shifting into 1st, I get a clunk from the rear end. I'm always stopped, and the clutch is all the way in, so I'm not sure what it would be. It hasn't gotten more frequent or louder over time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dude I have that clunky noise too. Also a little bit of clicking 2-3 and 3-4. Let us know!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
762 Posts
I don't know if others have the "clunk" I have, since I haven't looked around yet. But what I experience is, about 50% of the time, when shifting into 1st, I get a clunk from the rear end. I'm always stopped, and the clutch is all the way in, so I'm not sure what it would be. It hasn't gotten more frequent or louder over time.

hmm wild guess.... transmission mount?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Here's the wording, it was May not June.

My master technician dropped off the section of May's TechTalk bulletin from SOA for me while I was at work today. There's a couple odds and ends that might prove to be interesting and a few other things that might quell some fears or maybe even raise some concerns. I'm not near my scanner right now, so for now you'll have to deal with me just re-typing everything.

BRZ REPLACEMENT ENGINE INFORMATION

In the event a replacement engine is required for a BRZ, be aware it will not include driver's side crush cover for the fuel injectors as shown in the photo. The left side cover will need to be changed over from the original engine or replaced with a new one if it cannot be reused. The right side cover is included with the replacement engine assembly.

BRZ FUEL INJECTION OPERATIONAL CHARACTERISTICS

You may notice, or customers may question, various sounds that change in volume and character from the engine and direct injection fuel pump at idle. These may be described as "clicking" or "clacking" sounds or a similar description. The sounds described are most commonly noticed at idle during initial engine warm up.

Be aware that BRZ utilizes both port and direct fuel injection systems. These systems are operated in one of three modes: Port Injection Only, Direct Injection Only, and a combination of both together. The transition between these modes of operation will occur automatically based upon inputs to the ECM. As the injection mode changes, there will be associated changes in the volume and character of the sounds coming from the injection system. Upon initial cold start, both direct and port injection systems are functioning. Within a short time (roughly 60 seconds, dependent on many factors), the port injection turns off and only direct injection is active. As a result, there will be a normal increase in injector sound volume. Shortly after that, injection will change from direct only to port only. After additional time, the mode will change back to a combination of both direct and port injection. These mode changes will continue to occur as decided by the various ECM inputs and will vary under changing conditions. Similar actions will also occur during hot start depending upon catalyst temperatures and other factors. These sounds are most likely quite different from what you may have experienced with prior Subaru models and are not a source for concern.

BRZ MANUAL TRANSMISSION SOUNDS

You may notice, or customers may question, a "thump" or "thunk" sound intermittently when placing the new six-speed manual transmission into first or reverse while stopped. This is a characteristic of the transmission operation which occurs when any remaining input shaft rotation is brought to a quick stop by gear selection. If enough time is given for the shaft to stop turning on its own, then no thump will occur. No wear or damage is occurring as a result of this action. This sound may be more noticeable as the gear oil warms and gear selection is able to be accomplished with greater speed.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Maybe make this a sticky under the technical section? This is an opportunity for us to have a voice towards Subaru regarding issues we are having with the BRZ. If BRZSTI is actually a technician it would be a way for us forum guys to get a inside opinion on the BRZ issues.

BTW BRZSTi I noticed you are from BC. Which dealership do you work at? I use to live in Vancouver.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Maybe make this a sticky under the technical section? This is an opportunity for us to have a voice towards Subaru regarding issues we are having with the BRZ. If BRZSTI is actually a technician it would be a way for us forum guys to get a inside opinion on the BRZ issues.

BTW BRZSTi I noticed you are from BC. Which dealership do you work at? I use to live in Vancouver.
Great idea! As requested, thread has been moved to Engine Technical section, stickied and tittle changed for easy understanding.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for all that, you also need to address the headlight condensation issues, please add that to the list as well. Specifically the rear taillights... no condensation experienced from front headlights as of yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My navigation gives me a lot of problems as well, still haven't noticed the chirping noise under the hood and my transmission always mades a clump sound when shifting from gears 1-2 and sometimes three.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Idle issue. There's a ton of folks on another forum reporting issues with the idle dipping down to 300-400 RPM, repeatedly. When this happened some have even experience the engine stalling, CEL's being thrown for camshaft sensors, etc. I've recently had the idle dip myself, and having owned previous Subarus I can safely say this isn't the normal "boxer lumpiness" at low RPM. It's enough to have me worried, and I wasn't so paranoid about the crickets issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Alright first update finally! I was hoping to get this up earlier today, on my lunch hour, but I had to work right through it. Firstly, some of you guys would like to know my accreditations. I have been a technician for 6 years now and have spent the last 2 years as a technician for Subaru in Kelowna. I strive to be the most knowledgeable about all our makes and models but am specifically drawn the performance aspects of our wrx's and now since I own a brz, I have genuine enthusiasm about know anything and everything about these cars. Lets get down to it.

TAIL LIGHT CONDENSATION. I did address this awhile back in a different thread but it didnt make it mainstream. There is a service bulletin issued by Subaru back at the end of June. Basically the tail light housings weren't properly torqued in production, and cracked, therefore allowing moisture into the lens. There was a counter measure in production applying to certain VIN's to remedy this. You should have no problem having the lights replaced at the dealer with this concern. Here is the actual bulletin:

http://www.subarubrzforum.com/attachments/subaru-brz-general-discussion-forum/992d1341293838-am-i-only-one-having-problem-my-brz-sb.12.03.12-brz-tail-lamp-page-001.jpg
http://www.subarubrzforum.com/attachments/subaru-brz-general-discussion-forum/993d1341293844-am-i-only-one-having-problem-my-brz-sb.12.03.12-brz-tail-lamp-page-002.jpg

CHIRPING NOISE FROM ENGINE AREA. I can verify this noise in my own brz. I have heard it from under hood, it definitely became more noticeable towards the end of my break in period and I will be looking into it tomorrow. I know that the consensus is the high pressure fuel pump for the direct injection is making this noise. But until I diagnose and stethoscope this noise and can verify it's origin, I am not convinced. :p lol

CLUNKING NOISE FROM DRIVETRAIN/TRANSMISSION. 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION [sorry i cant help the auto tranny guys, we have yet to see one at our dealer] I see many threads have talked about this "clunking" noise while stopped, clutch in and shifting into 1st or reverse. I personally have not felt this clunk under these exact conditions, but, for me, actually when approaching a complete stop, say moving at 15 to 20 km/h, clutch in, shifting from 2nd to 1st. I feel the whole drivetrain shifting/clunking, more so in the transmission area, but possibly the rear end transferring the noise up through the driveshaft. This to me, in my experience, is NOT normal and is on the top of my list to investigate!

BUZZING IN STEERING COLUMN UNDER DECELERATION. This is a noise I have not seen any complaints or concerns on this forum, as of yet. :p This is personally a noise I hear myself in my brz. I am hoping someone else here could verify either the noise or just the opposite hears nothing. I do not think it should matter between either transmission option, but the I only hear it under deceleration never in the power or under any other conditions of acceleration. Hopefully you guys can help me out with this one!!!

Tommorrow is the day, so I will keep you guys in the loop! Thanks for reading! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Idle issue. There's a ton of folks on another forum reporting issues with the idle dipping down to 300-400 RPM, repeatedly. When this happened some have even experience the engine stalling, CEL's being thrown for camshaft sensors, etc. I've recently had the idle dip myself, and having owned previous Subarus I can safely say this isn't the normal "boxer lumpiness" at low RPM. It's enough to have me worried, and I wasn't so paranoid about the crickets issue.
IDLE DIP. I have experienced this myself in my brz, not serious enough to stall or set DTC`s though. I have also seen this in our 2010-2011 wrx`s and sti`s. I have spoken to subaru techline about this one and they have told me it is normal as long as the idle recovers in adequate time. There is NOT a reprogram update, for improved idle stability, in the works for either the brz or wrx`s at this moment. I have yet to run into an idle problem on either model, just customer concerns, that is in need of repair. As for any subaru model pre 2009, if the ecm was cleared or the battery was disconnected a proper idle relearn IS required otherwise stalling, DTC`s and extremely low idle will result. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
CLUNKING NOISE FROM DRIVETRAIN/TRANSMISSION. 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION [sorry i cant help the auto tranny guys, we have yet to see one at our dealer] I see many threads have talked about this "clunking" noise while stopped, clutch in and shifting into 1st or reverse. I personally have not felt this clunk under these exact conditions, but, for me, actually when approaching a complete stop, say moving at 15 to 20 km/h, clutch in, shifting from 2nd to 1st. I feel the whole drivetrain shifting/clunking, more so in the transmission area, but possibly the rear end transferring the noise up through the driveshaft. This to me, in my experience, is NOT normal and is on the top of my list to investigate!
Does the rattling sound that many folks, myself included, are experiencing as they are out of gear and slowing down to a stop add to this issue?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too have every issue you've described including the small buzzing from the steering column. The tranny issue I have is while stopped mostly. Even when shifting first thing in the am I get a small clunk that just doesnt seem right. definitely not from the rear end. Thanks a lot for the info!

1 - 20 of 159 Posts