Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of your are still wondering why Subaru went RWD with the BRZ, this might help you understand.

Subaru: Why we changed our AWD-only strategy

The boss of Subaru Australia says the BRZ sports car’s overarching impression as a “driver’s car” was strong enough to convince the company to divert from its 15-year exclusive all-wheel-drive strategy.

Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior says despite the BRZ’s rear-wheel-drive underpinnings, the vehicle is in line with the company’s existing ‘All 4 The Driver’ philosophy, and would not force a rebranding or fresh marketing direction.

Senior said the deciding factor for bringing the BRZ to Australia was “the comfort that it was a Subaru and [embodies] a true spirit of a Subaru – that is a driver’s car and is fun to drive”.

He said the BRZ would not have been considered for our market if it was developed as a front-wheel-drive car rather than rear-wheel drive.

“I think if it was ever a front-wheel drive, then no, that’s an easy decision to make.”

The Subaru BRZ, which has been a joint project between Toyota and Subaru, has also resulted in the soon-to-be-released Toyota 86 and the Toyota-based Scion FRS for the US market. All three models share the majority of their underpinnings and are based on an Impreza platform using a Subaru boxer engine, albeit with Toyota’s direct-injection technology. As a result, many have questioned Toyota’s involvement and input into the 86.

Referring to the BRZ, Mr Senior said “fundamentally I think it has more of a Subaru heart to it than a Toyota”.

Pricing and specification levels are still undetermined but we believe the high-spec Subaru BRZ destined for Australia will cost more than both entry-level and top-spec Toyota 86 variants.

Meanwhile, the future of the Subaru WRX and STI remains unclear following the models’ earlier divorce from the Impreza family. The current WRX/STI vehicles (based on the old third-generation Impreza) are expected to remain on sale in a largely unchanged format until the next-generation sports cars are released.

“[We are] still in the process of looking at the next-generation and direction of WRX and STI. We’ve been looking and evaluating as to which direction it would go. Does it go more upmarket? Does it go more hard-core?”

It’s yet to be determined if the WRX and STI will share the platform of the upcoming fourth-generation Impreza small car or use a modified version.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I don't get it. It doesn't state why they went with RWD over AWD. Though this is interesting.
“fundamentally I think it has more of a Subaru heart to it than a Toyota”

It an interview with Tado from Toyota he said the opposite indirectly stating Toyota had more involvement then Subaru.

·
Registered
216 Posts
He said the BRZ would not have been considered for our market if it was developed as a front-wheel-drive car rather than rear-wheel drive.

“I think if it was ever a front-wheel drive, then no, that’s an easy decision to make.”
Finally, a car company that gets it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
From what i recall, they did it just for a lower MPG rating, But this is the way subaru will get there eventually..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Read the latest Automobile magazine (March 2012 issue) for a great explanation about the BRZ's roots. They simply wanted a great handling car. Everything came from this principle alone. So they created another Boxer engine that was flatter to keep the center of gravity lower. And they moved the engine back as far as possible to achieve as much of an equal weight distribution as possible. This eliminated the room in the powertrain for a transfer case. It's all about low height, low weight and balanced. That is why its RWD.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Subaurs gotta do what they gotta do.. the weight distribution is the same.. the ae86 and the brz/fr-s/gt86

they did rwd for a higher MPG rating they new to achieve a an overall as a company higher!

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
From what i recall, they did it just for a lower MPG rating, But this is the way subaru will get there eventually..
To do it just to lower MPG's is wack, I hope that wasn't their intention. When making a vehicle meant for performance, gas mileage shouldn't be such a big concern.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It not because they wanted to its because the CAFE standards are being raised in the US.

Thats, also its easier to get a high MPG rating out of a RWD car then a AWD car, If they want a pure performance this car wouldnt be a 2.0L N/A ;)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The BRZ and FR-S are probably going to be one of the most fuel economic sports cars in the market. Better then the S2000 thats for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts