Subaru BRZ Forum banner
6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Kaenon 
#1 ·
The BRZ was going to be the first car I would purchase brand new, coming out of college. I bought my car at the end of June 2012. The car I came home with was the 2012 GTI 4dr DSG w/ conv./sunroof for one reason. Better in the harsh winters of my climate.

Now, I'm moving to the DC Metro Area and again I am considering buying the BRZ. I just have to wage what I currently have and how much I'll lose over deprecation versus what I'd get a 2013 BRZ for.

I got my 2012 GTI out the door at just under $29,500 after tax/tags/fees. I got the GTI tuned Stage 1 APR and got the APR CAI to go along with it. I also picked up a set of winter tires/wheels. After a trade-in plus some cash plus 0% financing through VW, I only owe $16,200 on the GTI at $320/mo. for 51 more months.

Do you think I'd be able to get a decent deal now that the BRZ has been out some months? or will I be losing too much on my current GTI?

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I just did a very similar thing. Traded a 2012 VW GLI on my BRZ. I also had a APR Stage II tune and down pipe. I took quite a hit with depreciation, but I was able to get the maximum trade in value for my GLI because it was so clean. Look up your GTI online and see what it is worth. I was kind of disappointed with how much my GLI depreciated in a year, but that is the price I paid to play. Oh and you will miss the gobs of torque from your GTI, but will love the handling of the BRZ. Also it does snow quite a bit in DC. ;)

#5 ·
Don't forget the other and best option...... Sell it yourself for a little less than what the car dealer will sell it for. Look up the purchase used price. That's what the dealer will sell your vehicle for. Normally it's a couple of thousand dollars mark up so they make money on it. Then your trade in will be a little less painful.

#6 ·
Yeah I suppose that's possible. Although I have this thing about buying new. Or maybe I lease the vehicle and purchase it at the end of the lease if I so choose to, I don't know.

I either suck it up and keep my GTI, buy a new BRZ/FR-S, or look at the sluggish Crosstrek.

#7 ·
Any difference in price you pay for auto insurance? Don't imagine 2 door cars fetch any good discounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.