Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I'm having a dilemma. Do I rust proof, I.e) krown-(Canadian company) or not. I'm not intending to drive during the winter but just want to ensure longevity, as road trips to the coast may happen as well driving to florida in april when salt residue may still exist. Also, will getting it rust proofed outside of dealer void the warranty for the body, as drilling will be performed? Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey,

So I'm having a dilemma. Do I rust proof, I.e) krown-(Canadian company) or not. I'm not intending to drive during the winter but just want to ensure longevity, as road trips to the coast may happen as well driving to florida in april when salt residue may still exist. Also, will getting it rust proofed outside of dealer void the warranty for the body, as drilling will be performed? Thoughts anyone?
Pretty sure all subaru's are rustproofed at the factory so you shouldnt need to do this...

·
Registered
864 Posts
I wouldn't.

I live in Michigan, typically keep cars for 100,000+ in mileage or at 4 - 5 years. Cars now are well finished with protective coating and better metals.

I mainly rinse down the engine compartment occasionally and do take it thru automatic car washers in the winter season that have a good reputation and equipment that does not harm the finish. (some are cheaper than others - forget the $2 places). I would also have the car wash place do the optional undercar spray depending upon conditions. Of course, I make use of putting a protective finish on the body surfaces on an annual basis.

On engine compartment rinses, use a soft spray and cover any electrical components with plastic bags or SARAN WRAP. Also, when I go to sell the car in 4/5 years, I have a professional prep the whole car, outside finish and interior.
You mention "longevity". Ask yourself what is your definition or expectation of this term? We sometimes overwork our cars only to be sold in several years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey,

Rust Perforation Limited Warranty: 5 years, unlimited mileage. -Subaru

Modern cars are unlikely to benefit from additional rust proofing. If one were to drive the car in winter, on salt-ridden roads ... for 10+ years, then maybe.

I wonder how much weight would be added to the car with that heavy stuff? I'll bet it would be significant.

Weight is the enemy of your sportscar.

"Add lightness." - Colin Chapman :)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I see you live in Canada. From my experience people who Krown their car every year don't have rust issues. The disadvantage is that you now have nasty gunk all over the engine bay and under your car. I've found with new cars the body doesn't generally rust as long as you take steps to keep it clean and stop salt from sitting inside the panels. It's usually the suspension components that go to sh!t pretty quickly when exposed to salt.

If I was winter driving the car through a Canadian winter. I'd get it Krowned. No warrantys voided. The dealership will try their best to sell you their own rust proofing. Don't go for it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The dealership will try their best to sell you their own rust proofing. Don't go for it.

Agreed.

I have been told by acquaintances who worked at dealerships that SOME dealerships will cheat. They just drill the HOLES in the doors and panels, and install rubber caps; they never actually spray the interior panels at all! How's the customer going to know? It's a license to steal, 'tis. :(

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The dealership rustproofing is a wax type rust proofing. Through reading I've learnt that the wax does do a good job at keeping water out but it also does a great job at keeping water in. IF water does get between the rustproof and panel. It'll just stay there and eat away at your panel. It's non drip and it doesnt get gunky like oil type rust proofing does though. I'd still go for the oil type.

·
Registered
1 Posts
5 years for now I'm still using my car...I guarantee that by rust proofing it will last for years.Mostly here in our place they do rust proofing,for protection of their unit.:)

·
Super Moderator
25 Posts
If you don't drive the vehicle in the Winter then rustproofing is a waste of money and you will have a hard time cleaning the oil out, especially in the engine bay compartment. Just make sure it's properly stored and don't leave it out under the rain for extended periods of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts