Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a wild hair last weekend and decided to spend some quality time with the BRZ. The previous week a friend of mine told me about a famous winding road in a remote part of Eastern Arizona that is full of hair pins and little or no traffic (or cops). It's US Highway 191 starting from Clifton/Morenci Arizona and winding it's way North to Alpine, AZ. It is 93 miles of pure turning bliss. Now having driven it I have to say it truly is one awesome and ominous road. While officially known as the "Coronado Trail Scenic Byway" it has been known longer to the locals as the "Devil's Highway".

From Clifton you head north right into the Morenci copper mine. The highway actually traverses through the center of the operation and at one point there is a large mining conveyor moving material across the road about 50 feet overhead. It felt like driving under a large dragon. The curves seem tighter here on the southern end but throughout the drive there were some first-gear hairpins and 270 degree delights. This is the type of road the BRZ can chew up and spit out with aplomb. It's a blast.

Since I had got off to a late start I continued up the road to Springerville and got a hotel room.

The next morning I drove back East towards Alpine, AZ and crossed into New Mexico near the hamlets of Luna and Reserve. My destination was the mining ghost town of Mogollon, NM in the Gila Wilderness. While I have always liked the rustic town of Mogollon I was really going for the road that gets you there. Just North of Glenwood within the San Francisco River valley is a small highway known as New Mexico 159 or Bursum Road. It heads east into the mountains. It climbs 2,100 feet in seven miles. Doesn't sound bad except the road is one lane and the switchbacks have no guard rails. Think "Deadliest Journeys" or "IRT Deadliest Roads". It's a hoot in a BRZ but anything longer than a Superduty 4-door long bed would be touch and go. Every hairpin requires a slow check for head-on traffic. Up to Mogollon and back was more focused adrenaline than a case of Red Bull.

After stopping in at the Blue Front Bar & Cafe in Glenwood for one of the best long-green chile cheese burgers in New Mexico it was south on Hwy 180 toward Silver City, NM.

After passing Silver City I turned off on New Mexico Scenic Highway 152 in the town of Santa Clara. This Hwy 152, also known as the "Geronimo Trail Scenic Byway" part of the "Trail of the Mountain Spirits", is 63-miles long heads into the southern Gila Wilderness and quickly turns into about as devilish a cornering road as Hwy 191 was back in AZ. Total BRZ stuff all the way. This route passes through the mining towns of Mimbres, San Lorenzo, Kingston and ultimately Hillsoboro, NM. After Hillsboro the road descends back into the desert flatlands until it hits the Rio Grande River (and Interstate 25) at Caballo, NM just south of Truth or Consequences. Hwy 152 is another curvy road made fun with a very busy BRZ driver. At that point it was I-25 down the Rio Grande to home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow - thanks for the write-up. Awesome trip and roads. I loved traveling to New Mexico when I lived in Texas, and makes me jealous for something other than Illinois straight roads and no elevation change... now if I could back and do that trip both in my BRZ and then on my other set of wheels (2011 Triumph Speed Triple), I could die a happy man :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow that's looks like an amazing fun time! I don't have my BRZ yet but thinks makes me want to start planning road trips!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great stuff man. I have been in eastern Arizona before but never on that road. I'm filing that away for a trip maybe this spring.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you do it IP me and maybe we can join up. I'm only a couple of hours away and have always been open to any excuse to visit the Mogollon Rim and Gila Wilderness.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some more photos of the route going North out of Morenci. These are Google Earth images. I have some video I may try to get up on Youtube.

Morenci Mine Dragon

Hwy 191 out of Morenci

Don't take a passenger with a propensity for motion sickness on this route.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is awesome. I love the roads out there so much fun for driving.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alrighty, then. I think it would be nice to plan another trip this Spring. Vis101, jduffy and riodriver. You guys up for meeting up for a winding afternoon in the Gila? Anybody else?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife and I just happened today to drive from Silver City to Gila Cliffs Nat'l Monument up NM 15, then back on NM 35 and NM 180 via Mimbres and Hanover. As jliltd reported, this is pure BRZ territory. The car's still in its break-in period, but we had a super time on these roads. I hope to have a trip report in a few days. And I'd love to join jliltd for a meet-up out here, maybe early May?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Excellent report, well done.

Might I suggest we establish a new specific thread subject for Trip Reports? After all, the BRZ is designed for fun and enjoyable driving. Just like fine restaurants, three thing are needed to be successful: good food, good pricing and a great atmosphere. For the BRZ it's a well-designed car, well priced and economical, and finding great roads.

Hey Subaru USA: It's a good way to keep'm coming back. I volunteer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow and Thanks. Great road, trip and write-up. This is the sort of thing I'd like to see more of in AZ Hwys!

And to think I was just in Phoenix visiting relatives and lamenting how it was nearly impossible to find a twisty road. Of course, that is the Phoenix valley...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts