Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Car & Driver horrified lovers of unadulterated driving fun with the news that "just 6000 Subaru BRZ sports cars will be allocated to the U.S. for the 2013 model year." The source of that report is somehow suspect: "A Subaru dealer." Car and Driver's telephone budget must have been cut. The magazine consulted Subaru's website that says that the BRZ will be built in "extremely limited quantities." Car and Driver also checked with an old C&D article that said that "Subaru thinks that 5000 to 7000 per year would be enough." Thus having performed its journalistic duty, Car and Driver ran with the story of a BRZ that will be available in homeopathic quantities only. Which, I assume, should trigger a run at dealerships.

A similar canard had been published last November by the fansite ft86club.com. It comes as no surprise that this time also, FT86club.com immediately jumped on the Car and Driver story.

Time to make some calls.

More: TTAC Publishes Exclusive Picture Of Supply-Constrained Subaru BRZ on TheTruthAboutCars.com

·
Registered
187 Posts
Stupid idea indeed, I never understood why Subaru decided to limit production on these cars. Scion isn't doing it and these BRZ's aren't all that different from FR-S's or 86's, so WTF is the point!!

This forum is a good way to see how interested people are in this car, 6000 units for the USA alone wont be good enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When i was at the Suberu dealer they said the same thing, around 2000 cars. They said they are doing this be cause Subaru is nervous about deviating from their AWD standard. Their afraid people wont embrace the RWD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I stand behind Subaru on this one. It will generate appeal towards the more exclusive bunch of people who can really feel they have a truly rare one-off kind of sports car. Of course, this is just the first year of production. This year is like a special "collector's edition" of the car. The first year of a ground-breaking machine. The value of these cars will probably spike later down the road just like a Hemi Cuda did today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey new here but thought I'd put my two cents in. I do understand the marketing behind this move. If you make something exclusive people want it more. Duh. But this does mean that the cars will go for a premium price at the dealerships. So the whole idea for this car was for it to be an affordable fun sports car, right? But by limiting production you can take this car with an msrp of 25,000$ and ad all the dealer fees plus the premium your looking more like 30,000$ plus. Which in my opinion is no longer in the affordable price range. Honestly 25 is pushing it already. I'd love to own this car and I make enough to afford it but my credit is shit.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Hey new here but thought I'd put my two cents in. I do understand the marketing behind this move. If you make something exclusive people want it more. Duh. But this does mean that the cars will go for a premium price at the dealerships. So the whole idea for this car was for it to be an affordable fun sports car, right? But by limiting production you can take this car with an msrp of 25,000$ and ad all the dealer fees plus the premium your looking more like 30,000$ plus. Which in my opinion is no longer in the affordable price range. Honestly 25 is pushing it already. I'd love to own this car and I make enough to afford it but my credit is shit.
There are dealerships that wont mark up the original MSRP. If your trying to pre-order one and want to make sure they wont mark up the price you can always get it in writing. A couple members have done this already.

I agree $25 000 is pushing it already

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 5-7K might have been referencing the 'Limited' trim option. In which case the premium trim should be reasonably available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, I'm new on this forum and ordered my BRZ premium (Mica WR Blue) here in Sweden, my dealer claimed that northern europe will only get 95 BRZ to be delivered this summer of which the dealers will order quite a few as demo cars. The employees will need to wait to 2013 on their cars...

No idea if it is true but it speeded up my signature on the dotted line ;-)

·
Registered
212 Posts
25K is too much?

Are there other cars for 25k that come standard with aggressive seats, Nav, HID, and LSD for 25K?

Mustang V6 w/ track pack =26K no LSD, no Nav, no HID (recaros +1200)
370z base model = 30K, no LSD, no NAV
GTI with nav, = 27K no LSD (recaros no longer an option)
Civic Si with 17s and XM (no nav available, also as an avid Honda fanboy, this car sucks) 23K
All the entry level American cars (Camaro, Challenger, Charger) with no HID/LSD/NAV = 25K

What more are you expecting for 25K?

All that said I'm glad that there is a limited run for the first year. Prior to the release to the journalists they were not sure how this car was going to be received. Subaru has always been a rather conservative company, and it's worked well for them. Scion bringing over 25K might work out, but imo it was a large risk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I called a couple of dealers today (San Francisco, CA, USA) to check on pricing & availability. One quoted $1,500 above MSRP due to "market adjustment" & the other, $2K above. Once I stopped laughing, I took a look at this article and nothing could be more true than this:

"After a few weeks of thin supplies, common to any new model launch, you should be able to choose from plenty cars. Don’t buy the shortage story and pay above MSRP."

·
Registered
762 Posts
25K is too much?

Are there other cars for 25k that come standard with aggressive seats, Nav, HID, and LSD for 25K?

Mustang V6 w/ track pack =26K no LSD, no Nav, no HID (recaros +1200)
370z base model = 30K, no LSD, no NAV
GTI with nav, = 27K no LSD (recaros no longer an option)
Civic Si with 17s and XM (no nav available, also as an avid Honda fanboy, this car sucks) 23K
All the entry level American cars (Camaro, Challenger, Charger) with no HID/LSD/NAV = 25K

All that said I'm glad that there is a limited run for the first year. Prior to the release to the journalists they were not sure how this car was going to be received. Subaru has always been a rather conservative company, and it's worked well for them. Scion bringing over 25K might work out, but imo it was a large risk.
Well said.

A lot of people are missing out on what this car is about. They look at the price tag, it's size, power and design and judge it from that when they shouldn't.
It's worth every penny, it is what it is, a $25k car.

·
Registered
85 Posts

All that said I'm glad that there is a limited run for the first year. Prior to the release to the journalists they were not sure how this car was going to be received.
The problem for me was that all that on my limited was almost $31K out the door. If it had been $25K I might have kept my allocation and still be waiting in line. Nav? Don't care as I'll still be using my programmable Garmin. HID? Who cares? LSD? nice, it's about a $100 option. Aggressive seats? They are expected in a sports car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have owned my car for 6 days! I really love the way it looks and the way it drives. I got it loaded and enjoy all the features. There was no negotiating on the price and in fact I stopped the deal cold - due to the impractical aspects of the purchase - the sales manager just told me that If I was not going to be happy with the purchase that I should not get the car! He did not offer anything to "sweeten the deal". I walked out of there paying just over 33K. This is more than I wanted to pay - but I had been looking for a vehicle for months - everything from a Ford Diesel Truck, SUV, Sedan, and in BMW, Lexus etc.. category. I happened to see the SCion FRS in the paper and put down a deposit on one. Then when I did some more research and found all the options that the Subaru had in comparison to the Scion - I decided on the BRZ! I hunted one down that had just fallen through a deal and put down a deposit and went and bought it. There were 6 people that came in to see the car during the time I was at the dealer. None were happy that the car was in the process of being sold. This car is for those that love the feel and drive of a sports car. I would like it to be a little louder and I am going to look at some after market additions to dress up the front end. Would love to hear from other owners - would love to hear what others have paid -

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes Limited A/T with some upgrades - gas cap cover, exterior chrome etc... So when the advertisements say 25K - that is obviously the least expensive. The Limited A/T seems to run about 27 to almost 29 and then with some upgrades and taxes, fees, etc.. it is very easy to come to over 30K.

·
Registered
864 Posts
KARENB says: "So when the advertisements say 25K - that is obviously the least expensive. "

Nothing new about this and has been the standard advertising copy for decades. Same thing, for instance, with tires.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Boys and Girls: On the issue of why Subaru has the BRZ as a 'Limited Edition'. Subaru is, unquestionably, not the typical auto company.

All of their vehicles, with the exception of the BRZ, are All Wheel Drive. This is, primarily, a marketing strategy and it has been successful.
Subaru directed itself, at least BEFORE the BRZ, to:
*** Young outdoors market, people that are active and want AWD to get to those hard to get at and less people-populated destinations.
*** That population that is located in the wintry areas of the globe where AWD is preferred.
*** That population segment who appreciates a quality, comfortable, economical and smaller vehicle than the larger AWD or 4WD SUV's.

MY point: THe BRZ is a exception to the 'rule' and Subaru is approaching this new baby in a conservative manner possibly not knowing for sure how it will affect their basic strategy. I could comment in further detail but that is the reasoning, in my opinion, in a nutshell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts