Subaru BRZ Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
. This is what I got at the local Subaru workshop today, the claimed that Subaru recently signed a partnership with Midland (www.oelbrack.CH) and the only reason to use 0w-20 is fuel economy. I will use this to top up but are quite sure this is what will be used at the next service... We do not get colder than -10 c here anyway and I do use my BRZ on the track a lot! My manual tells me 5w-30 works but 0w-20 is preffered.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Everyone has their preferred brand of oil. So I wanted to find out what is your favorite brand or what brand would you use and possibly why you chose that brand?
I used 5-30 DEXOS 1 in my Z06, and my 370Z. I would probably use it in a BRZ STI, if I end up with one, if they make one, unless Subaru recommends against it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anybody heard of Synergyn? It's supposed to the the best out there. It's about $18/quart.
When it comes to oils, I typically stick with what I know works. That way you won't get Slick50'ed. If Mobil 1 sucked, then it wouldn't be the factory fill in all the supercars it's in. Same for other oils used as such.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
When it comes to oils, I typically stick with what I know works. That way you won't get Slick50'ed. If Mobil 1 sucked, then it wouldn't be the factory fill in all the supercars it's in. Same for other oils used as such.
Well I run Redline right now, and I'm always looking to see if there's something better. Mobil 1 isn't really a real synthetic due to the Castrol lawsuit from years ago, and it's not even in the same league as Redline, Motul, Amsoil, etc. I've heard some great things about Synergyn. How this oil has been tested in 24 hour endurance racing. It's made for racing, most oils aren't. Just because Mobil 1 is factory fill for some cars, doesn't really mean anything. OE's use the cheapest products they can as long as it won't mess anything up. Almost anything OE can and will be improved upon in time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well I run Redline right now, and I'm always looking to see if there's something better. Mobil 1 isn't really a real synthetic due to the Castrol lawsuit from years ago, and it's not even in the same league as Redline, Motul, Amsoil, etc. I've heard some great things about Synergyn. How this oil has been tested in 24 hour endurance racing. It's made for racing, most oils aren't. Just because Mobil 1 is factory fill for some cars, doesn't really mean anything. OE's use the cheapest products they can as long as it won't mess anything up. Almost anything OE can and will be improved upon in time.
It's more about add-pack than base stock unless you're actually burning the oil off.

I use Redline in my transmission. I have mixed feelings about how it's doing.
I used Royal Purple in a rear-end. It burned out every bearing in it.

I'm not sold on botique oils at this point.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The lawsuit went the other way. Somebody claimed Castrol was not "synthetic" and I believe the Court held that it was. There's not a definition of synthetic that suits everybody.

The thing thing that matters is whether Subaru approves of the stated spec on the oil container. If its ok with Subaru you can use it, if not then I say don't.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
The lawsuit went the other way. Somebody claimed Castrol was not "synthetic" and I believe the Court held that it was. There's not a definition of synthetic that suits everybody.

The thing thing that matters is whether Subaru approves of the stated spec on the oil container. If its ok with Subaru you can use it, if not then I say don't.
The lawsuit found that "synthetic blends" can be considered full synthetics. That's why pretty much every oil out there except for German Castrol, Redline, Motul, Amsoil and a few others are NOT full synthetics anymore. They are synthetic blends. If it doesn't say it's 100% synthetic, it's a blend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The lawsuit found that "synthetic blends" can be considered full synthetics. That's why pretty much every oil out there except for German Castrol, Redline, Motul, Amsoil and a few others are NOT full synthetics anymore. They are synthetic blends. If it doesn't say it's 100% synthetic, it's a blend.
The only thing a true Group IV or Group V gives you is equal-length molecules. It doesn't make the oil protect better or worse. If you don't believe me, go run 0-30 Castrol (A true Group IV) in a flat-tappet cammed engine. I promise you that regular old Rotella T would have made a much better choice...

The oil is just the base. It's what the add pack lives in. It's a coolant. As long as it's wet, it's pretty much good to go (within reason, lets not get crazy). Group IV and Group V oils come into their own in turbo and high-heat applications or where there are very long service intervals. Of course, the add-pack also has to be up to those, as well. In a passenger vehicle, I think that the quibble of blend vs. IV or V is pointless, and add pack is more important.

With high heat and tight tolerances, oil is broken down and can drop viscosity grades. No bueno. But if that's not happening...it's fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In regards to 0W-20 vs 0W-30, keep in mind that the Motul 0W-30 mentioned above is a very thick 30 grade oil. The HTHS viscosity is 3.6, in order to meet European ACEA A3 specs, so for all intents an purposes this oil will behave more like a light 40 grade oil than say a low HTHS viscosity 0W-30 like Mobil1 0W-30. It will also have higher oil pressure. For comparison, Mobil1 0W-40 has an HTHS viscosity of 3.8.

And speaking of Mobil1, yes they do use Group III base stocks but they also still use Group IV PAO's and Group V Alkylated Naphthalene. They just won't tell you which oils contain which base stocks, and in all likelihood, many of their oils use a blend of 2 or 3 base stocks (just like Red Line uses PAO and ester base stocks). Also, there was no lawsuit . It is only a myth. Mobil actually brought a complaint against Castrol to the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau. There was no court case and there was no judge. The Myth of the Mobil1 vs Castrol lawsuit.

With advances in oils these days, base stocks arguments are starting to become a moot point anyway. It all comes down to the overall package and how the oil performs and that it meets the necessary specifications. Shell oils are a prime example of this. Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability (all Group III oils) are some of the best performers out there. Look how well these oils performed in a recent Amsoil comparison (ASTM tests performed by an independent lab):
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

-Dennis

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this thread has been dead for a year, but since then Mobil1 has come out with a 0W20 oil and I'm planning on using that in my BRZ. It's a daily driver with one or two autocrosses per month, and I live in Florida where we hardly see temps lower than the 40s. I don't think I need to worry about changing to a different weight, correct?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The guys that fitted my turbo have been servicing my car with Joe Gibbs XP2 oil. Aperently it can handle the hotter temps caused by the turbo better than most oils.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts