Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I am sitting down at the local dealer and I am ordering a 2018 BRZ Limited. It is not a complicated process as there is not a long list of options to wade through. I was prepared to place a non-refundable depost. I have already driven both the manual and automatic, and researched the heck out of the details. I know the 2017 and 2018 is essentially the same car, but the most notable difference is the radio in the 2018 BRZ Limited. It has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto; a couple of features that I will find useful and will be in the 2019 Ascent we have ordered. I only wanted to talk to the guy who ordered the Ascent, but he was busy. Then it seems that I had three or more people involved in selling me the BRZ. How complicated can it be? But, then someone suggests that I drive a BRZ so that I am sure that I want to order the car. They explained that especially with the BRZ not the usual Subaru, some people get cold feet and back out. I explained that I have gone through all the motions and I want a new BRZ. OK, just to show I am a team player, I go for a ride in a 2017 Limited and yes it is just what I want. Then they offer to sell me that car for a fairly nice deal. Two problems: not my first choice in color, but it does look nice. Second, it has the radio that is now found on the 2018 BRZ Premium. I am thinking, "I could drive this home today and I don't have to wait a couple of months." One minute I was prepared to pay cash for a new car and then I am put in this position. I fully understand the sales practice of putting a customer in the driver's seat and all that. Yeah, it almost worked on me, but I had to tell them that I needed a couple of days to think about this. Should I get the 2017 for a good price and forego the color choice and the upgraded radio? As it would happen when I ran this past my buddies and they told me about two 2017 BRZs at another dealer that is the right color plus an option package at a better price. Still, I would have to settle for the standard radio. $3,700 off the MSRP so they have my attention. The question is this: are the additional features found on the upgraded radio all that and a bag of chips? If money is no object, would you prefer to get a 2018 to get the upgraded radio?

They say, "Too many cooks spoil the broth." The sales guy that sold me the Ascent knows that I am paying cash. He knows that I have been going round and round about the BRZ which is purely discretional, but is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I walk in cash in hand to finally order the car, no turning back and the rest of the sales staff throws me a curve ball because they want to clear the lot of any stragglers. I know they have to try, but they did it to the wrong guy. If I buy a 2017, it will be from another dealer. If I want a 2018, I doubt that they will work with me as long as they have the leftover on the lot. This same thing happened to me one year ago when I was shopping for a new RV. The dealer close to home would not offer a fair price on an order to get just the features I wanted. The only good prices were on RVs they had in inventory. I tried, but they would rather see me walk out the door than sell me what I wanted. I saw the look of desparation in the salesman's face because his manager was a jerk. I spent six figures at another dealer that saved me about $9,000. Now I feel it is deja vu all over again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another way to look at this

I just ordered a 2018 Limited with PP yesterday. For me, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto were important so I didn't even bother getting pricing on any of the remaining 2017s around here.

It sounds like you've really done your homework and went into this knowing you wanted the 2018, so I say stick with your original plan. In fact, I suggest you look at the pricing from a different angle - what sort of deal did you make on the 2018 you set out to buy? I bet the overall difference in price is what, $1000 or $1500? You'll get some/most of that back at trade in time just for having a 2018 instead of a 2017.

I wouldn't worry about the original dealer not wanting to work with you if they still have 2017s on the lot. It's a matter of you having the money and them needing to sell cars, and they need you more than you need them (you can shop around, after all.) Give them a chance to sell you want you want and if they aren't willing that's their loss.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that was one vote for sticking to my original plan. Tomorrow, I will look at a 2017 that is just what I want with the exception of the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. If the price is right, I can look past that. Someone suggested with what I save, I can retrofit a newer radio unit and have a few bucks left. As far as the 2018 vs. 2017 MY goes, when it comes time to sell, the next owner will know the BRZ for what it is and judge it on it's merits regardless of the model year. The only problem I can see is someone that has to go by the book value listed. But then, I am buying it for me and not the next owner. How many times do people get talked into something based on 'resale strategy'? "Oh you should get the 4WD and the manly Baja package because it will enhance the resale value." (not to mention my commision) I will definintely inquire about the 2018 BRZ. A car like this is not a necessity. My Forester is. That being said, my Labrador Retriever just told me that WE would look so fine driving to the dog park in a BRZ. Subaru: Dog tested, dog approved. End of story.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts