Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like this need to be addressed, since there seems to be a ton of MT purists on here.
You do know the AT better gas mileage than the MT? And it's not like maybe the fraction of a second quicker MT is going make much difference on an already slow car. AT or MT, isn't this car about the driving experience and how it handles? I personally prefer the driving experience in an AT with optional paddle shifting, and it's going to handle the same around corners and whatnot as the MT anyway. So what's with all the hate? If anything, I kinda feel bad for the MT people and that gas mileage, especially if this will be your daily driving car.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
It gets better gas mileage because of different gearing. The manual gearbox in this car is spaced in a way so you're always in the engine's powerband when shifting at redline. Also, a sports car is about driver involvement and that's something an auto will never provide. IMO, I don't know why anyone would want an AT in this car when you get an awesome gearbox like this.

·
Registered
614 Posts
these days Auto transmissions, esp higher end ones like dual clutch etc - are faster than manual. It's about the driving experience, throwing through the gates.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why would anyone care about what someone else thinks about the configuration you chose?
That's what I'm trying to figure out from the MT people on here.

I mean, you don't really see any of the AT people trashing on the MT people, even though I think they could find a reason to (the gas mileage for instance). It's like the jealous friend who doesn't want to admit that their girlfriend isn't as hot or as good as theirs, so instead they make passive remarks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's what I'm trying to figure out from the MT people on here.

I mean, you don't really see any of the AT people trashing on the MT people, even though I think they could find a reason to (the gas mileage for instance). It's like the jealous friend who doesn't want to admit that their girlfriend isn't as hot or as good as theirs, so instead they make passive remarks.
Or it's because there a lot of people who are very passionate purists about using a MT and very few people who are very passionate about using AT, even if they prefer it. Again, why would it matter what you use, but if you're comfortable with it, why does it matter what people are saying. If you're happy, don't get bothered by it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drive a 2005 Porsche 911 6 spd manual. I ordered a AT BRZ because that is what I wanted in the BRZ. Driving experience is what you want from your car not what someone else tells you it is.

Drive a Nissan GTR or Porsche turbo 911 automatic and tell me that it isn't a driving experience. I think these BRZs will bring a lot of smiles AT or MT!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also, a sports car is about driver involvement and that's something an auto will never provide. IMO, I don't know why anyone would want an AT in this car when you get an awesome gearbox like this.
I agree. I have owned manuals my entire life. It's totally about the driver involvement. I've test driven cars with paddle shifters and dual clutch and it does not feel right to me. If my knees ever go bad, then an auto is probably my only choice. The author of this thread is obviously someone young and ignorant and using the net to create the illusion of intelligence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In every instance I've ever seen, MT get better gas mileage than an AT. And honestly I would be afraid to drive an automatic now that I've started driving a manual. I would probably fall asleep at the wheel. Automatics are SO BORING. All you do is speed up slow down and aim your car. There's nothing entertaining or involving about it. Honestly I think if you get a sports car, it should have a sporty transmission (either fully manual or paddle shifters, nothing less).

This is just my opinion though. If you guys think using two pedals is fun, then have a ball, I enjoy the connection with my car the clutch pedal provides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree. I have owned manuals my entire life. It's totally about the driver involvement. I've test driven cars with paddle shifters and dual clutch and it does not feel right to me. If my knees ever go bad, then an auto is probably my only choice. The author of this thread is obviously someone young and ignorant and using the net to create the illusion of intelligence.
Obviously. I'm 27. And this will be my 3rd AT car after driving a MT most my life. But I'm also making the BRZ my daily driver after having my Audi A4 w/ Tiptronic for about 5 years. So yeah, you're right, I must be ignorant too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I personally would never buy this car with an AT. But thats me. I don't care what anyone else does. To me driving an automatic feels more like riding in the car then driving. I want to enjoy the drive. Best way to do that is to immerse yourself in the experience. Can't really do that in an automatic, in my opinion.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This forum is starting to get intense! Paddle shifters are like pacifiers...if you can't swim, get out of the pool! Kidding...buy what you feel comfortable with! It's your money, spend it how you see fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ This is excactly what I'm talking about. You trash talk then say just kidding? Get off your high horse already.

·
Registered
183 Posts
^ This is excactly what I'm talking about. You trash talk then say just kidding? Get off your high horse already.
I was kidding. I almost bought an auto for the perks...but I'm glad I changed my mind. You're starting to sound like a whiny baby...let's get that pacifier out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There are a few things I like about the MT.

1. Easier to work on/change a trans. They are just a simpler beast with less parts, and less expensive parts at that.
2. When you are driving a MT you are an integral part of the car. You are literally a mechanical connection that NEEDS to be in the car for it to work, and you need to work with a precision that is at a higher level then just pushing down with your right foot (which you also need to do).
3. The feeling when you slot the shifter into the next gear, or rev match on a down shift just can't be gained from an auto.

I drive a LOT of autos because I travel for work and have rented almost everything that Hertz/Enterprise rents. While I do admit that there are some VERY fast ATs out there, they are just slower when it comes to downshifting. Even in some of the highest costing cars they still hesitate to do what you ask, or lag a bit before they respond going down through the gears. My dad's GTI even in the sportiest setting is a slug when downshifting. When I'm on a spirited drive I want an ECU determining the least possible for me.

Traction control off + MT = pure bliss.

Reactions: SeeeeeYa

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm presently driving a Vw R32 with the dual clutch gear box and all wheel drive (think Audi Quatro with Porsche's tiptronic). it is great fun. i've been in it for a few years now and it's been really enjoyable as an anti walking device. I am old and still think sports cars should be manual though, but thats just me. I heard my salesman groan when I ordered my BRZ in white. he went on to suggest It was a less desirable choice and may be difficult to retail off the floor if I changed my my mind later with such a "plain" color. I suggested he order one in the color he liked because that's what I'm doing! It's the same with the gearbox...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts