Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the reasons I believe the Subaru BRZ is more ideal for me over the Scion FR-S:
  • BRZ headlights own FR-S headlights
  • Subaru mechanics have more experience with the BRZ boxer motor then the Toyota Mechanics
  • Insurance for Subaru might be cheaper then FR-S down the road since more youth are likely to buy the FR-S over the BRZ due to price.
  • Top model BRZ has a nicer interior then the FR-S

·
Registered
216 Posts
A couple reasons:
The BRZ has more creature comforts. They're heavier, which was why I originally was thinking of rebadging an FR-S. But after thinking about it, I realized this was going to be my DD so I want the heated seats.

And of course the "Top Gear" reason. I'll be sitting at a light in a FR-S and a BRZ will pull up next to me and I'll think "Oh.... I should have gotten one of those instead."

Oh, as far as repairs go:
If it's body/interior related, take it to the brand that's on the badging.
If it's engine related, take it to Subaru.
If it's transmission or diff related, take it to Lexus. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay....don't get me wrong scion is amazing company and they have Toyota to back them up...but I'm mostly buying it cause of the make...Subaru is by far a greater make and there service is top notch...my friend has a scion tc and it was fully loaded....we went to Toyota dealer to do some service..and let me tell you..he made an appointment long before and they still helped him last...

With Subaru you don't get that....there name alone is high making models...I know it's not a Lexus but they sure treat you like you do...

Also cause the BRZ has more options ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Scions are for kids, maturity alone is the reason to get a Subaru.... Got my first Subaru in 86.... Used to deliver pizza in one back in the 70's. Yep, I've got age. But, there's a daredevil kid inside me.... That combined with driving experience spells Subaru over Scion everyday.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, as far as repairs go:
If it's body/interior related, take it to the brand that's on the badging.
If it's engine related, take it to Subaru.
If it's transmission or diff related, take it to Lexus. :D
What about warranty? If they crack open the transmission case you just voided warranty with whoever you bought the car from. I think boxer motors are complete mysteries to toyota techs where as body/interior/differentials from Toyota aren't that different form Subaru to cause any problems for Subaru techs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first reason why I preordered a BRZ and not an FR-S is the whole maturity thing. Around here most of the Scions I see are a tad ricey. This would be my 4th Subaru, so I'm pretty biased to the brand. Also, Subaru is going to be racing the BRZ in the GT300 category. For me a "sports car" that's being raced, says that the car has a good amount of engineering put into.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same reason as most people noted already.. Scion has that whole "ricer" little kid thing going on.. plus its cheaper than the Subaru so even more reason for little kids and ricers to buy it, also Subaru interior is nicer.. limited you can get heated leather seats, HIDs, climate control, navi standard that about sums it up

·
Registered
341 Posts
This has been a good thread, and everyone has made a good point. To me it is about the chasis and motor, and Subaru has developed everything that defines the car as a Subaru. Toyota's contribution to the motor(direct injection) is not much more than we tuners do, and I don't call my car a HKS sti. OK they also designed the body, but underneath it is a Subaru. They designed that body around a Subaru Chasis, and had no say in the dimentions of the car. Subaru's have always been about performance and not looks, and even though this car looks better than many Subaru's of the past that is not what makes it great. You can put a dog in a cat suit, but it is still a dog... this car will always be a Subaru no matter how Toyota will try and spin it into one of their own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are some really strange reasons in here. Just because one Scion dealership did that doesn't mean they all do. In addition, a motor is a motor, the parts are just in slightly different locations. In either case, all certified mechanics will go through training before working on the vehicle.

While I agree that many younger enthusiast will buy the Scion I don't think that will eliminate the stupid things that people will do to destroy the car. Give it a couple years and ever amature with a driver's license will have one and will be drifting them around neighborhooods.

Don't forget that Subaru couldn't have done any of this without Toyota. They bought into Subaru in order to support the whole venture. The 6 speed is an Aisin variation found in the Lexus IS line. I think it's great that both companies will offer them and that the BRZ offers more features.

I for one like the push button start the best, but the HID head lights, heated seats, and leather are also cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm buying the Scion because: 1) I'm one of the first 86, 2) The Scion dealer is 3 miles from my house, 3) The nearest Subaru dealer is 45 miles away, 4) Wanted a basic FRS/BRZ without much in the way of accessories/add-ons.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It just seems more natural to me to have a Subaru with a Subaru Boxer engine.

It's weird to me to have a Scion, explain that its made by Toyota and the motor is from a Subaru. I'm a fan of Subaru that might be why. And I've had great experiences with Subaru customer support and dealerships.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm hoping it'll be a bit nicer interior than a WRX STi, so the BRZ is a must for me, whereas the Scion would be more ideal as a stripper for the track. I just don't have the time for tracking now, so a bit more comfort is a bonus for me. Technically this will be my wife's car though. I also like the boxer engine in a Subie, not in a Toyota badged as a Scion in the US.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm buying a BRZ because it has some nicer features than the Scion FR-S, every kid won't have a BRZ while I can't say the same for the Scion FR-S. To sum it up it's just a way to be different from the rest of the crowd. Ever since seeing the BRZ STI, I will be going for it since it will make my BRZ that much more different.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think bottom line its just the features and availability of different trim levels with the different options coming standard on each trim people can actually choose whether or not to get the Premium, Limited, or upcoming STi trims while FR-S well.. you get one very basic trim with everything as an option and even then you can't get some of the options the higher trim BRZ offers such as leather seats, push button start, HIDs. But you can get the navi, fog lights, spoiler kits and what not on the Scion as options but that's just not enough for some people I guess

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know Scion guys are going to be doing Subaru headlight swaps as a common modification. Bixenon projectors vs halogen projectors

·
Registered
397 Posts
i see the scion having a higher insurance rate just because the avg age will be more kids than the subaru variant!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts