Subaru BRZ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just venting but Friday I had this guy come up to me and just basically talk a load of trash about my brz to me and my friend. He was saying oh your car is garbage. Only 200 horsepower. I have bugs I drag that are 750 HP. Your car is just a phase. Everyone will be over these cars soon. I got pretty mad. I wanted to slug him but ya. Lol. Made me a bit angry.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just venting but Friday I had this guy come up to me and just basically talk a load of trash about my brz to me and my friend. He was saying oh your car is garbage. Only 200 horsepower. I have bugs I drag that are 750 HP. Your car is just a phase. Everyone will be over these cars soon. I got pretty mad. I wanted to slug him but ya. Lol. Made me a bit angry.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If were me I would've given him two thumbs up and said "that's cool mr fast and furious( or call him Dominic Torreto)" turn around and walk away. No point in a arguing with someone who thinks HP is all that matters. Drag racing to me will always be whoever has the deepest pockets. Just wasting money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's simple, really. HP is the lowest common denominator (LCD) of performance. It's easy to understand for most people because "more is better". Why not focus on weight, agility, handling, responsiveness, traction, etc.? Because those require KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, and EFFORT to understand. There are quite a few comparable examples I could post about humans reducing a complex subject to its LCD, but you get the idea.

If anyone brings up HP to me, I just smile and change the subject. Because I know that nothing I say will sway their opinion, and their opinion does not affect my enjoyment of my cars. I would much rather have an under-powered car that requires skill, anticipation, momentum, timing, technique, etc. to drive fast, than anything that can go fast simply by stomping the accelerator.

YMMV

·
Registered
307 Posts
The HP is fine and easy to defend. 100HP per liter in an NA engine is a great accomplishment. It's the torque that sucks. The torque dip below 4000RPM is the only downside to an otherwise fantastically fun car to drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its also a bit ridiculous historically... not too long ago a 200hp NA small car was considered a powerful strong car. Heck the first WRXs, which are much heavier, put out 220ish and to the wheels I don't imagine it being more than the BRZ because of the loss due to AWD etc. And nobody complained about horsepower on them.

The BRZ gets too much attention on the horsepower front because all the reviewers (who are a bit spoiled LOL) say its PERFECT except it could use an additional 40-50hp. If all the reviews said a car was perfect except the shifts were a bit muddy would everyone poo poo the car and only talk about the gearbox? No. Everyone is just jealous because their car doesn't have reviewers saying its almost perfect :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
The HP is fine and easy to defend. 100HP per liter in an NA engine is a great accomplishment. It's the torque that sucks. The torque dip below 4000RPM is the only downside to an otherwise fantastically fun car to drive.
I absolutely agree. A bit more torque and fix the dip and it will be great.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have driven lots of great and many expensive cars in my 25 years of driving. None of them have ever been as fun and engaging to drive as the BRZ. I routinely pick it over my 335i that is itself very fun to drive. And this BRZ continues to get oogled from so many people. Nobody gives a shit about my BMWs or Benzs or Audis but the BRZ gets at least one comment or long stare every single day I drive it and it's been 16 months since I've had it. The BRZ is like your loving girlfriend or wife who takes care of you...if you know what I mean. But as guys, we always want more, and there is that one act you want your significant other to do but you know she won't and yet you still long for it because then you know it would then be perfection. And so it is with the BRZ, you want just a little more low end grunt and it would be THE PERFECT CAR. You want it even though you know you can't have it. I know I will eventually cheat on my BRZ because I'm shallow and I will eventually get something else. But for now, it is the most enjoyable $28K I ever spent on anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I could be way off, I admit I don't know much about Internal Combustion Engines, but wouldn't this dip be a factor in the exceptional mileage the BRZ gets in day-to-day conditions? I get an average of 31 MPG for my day-to-day drive, so if the torque dip is the cost I have to pay to be able to burn rubber on the track and save money on the road, I'm A-OK with that :cool:

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
The dip is more due to tuning and the stock header and exhaust. Probably for emissions reasons. Some people get better gas mileage than stock with a good header and tuning.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Horsepower is the easiest gauge of a cars performance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The dip is more due to tuning and the stock header and exhaust. Probably for emissions reasons. Some people get better gas mileage than stock with a good EQUAL LENGTH header and tuning.
There, fixed that for you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts