Subaru BRZ Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru has been known for making some great turbocharged motors from factory. What are the chances of the BRZ being turbocharged? Is the BRZ going to be naturally powered instead? Doesn't Subaru want to treat the BRZ as a performance coupe? Do manufacturers even make coupes that aren't performance minded?

Just brainstorming here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Other manufacturers make 'sporty' coupes like the Accord and Altima. Though they are FWD. I'm sure Subaru/Toyota are going to test the waters with the first model possibly offer a turbo one down the road depending on sales.

My opinion is that they wouldn't want the performance of the BRZ to overshadow the wrx or sti sedans/hatchbacks so it will be limited in power. The 1.6L turbo would seem like the ideal engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Accord and Altima will, in no way, compete for market share with the BRZ. The RX-8 and the MX-5 are more of the target demographic. The BRZ is not even marketed to compete with the WRX or STi, either! Limited in power only on paper. Seeing that there will be a 5-700lb. weight difference and a different power to weight ratio, should close that gap. This car will also be RWD, not AWD, again not competing in drive wheel configuration, or size. 2 different animals, for 2 different buyers. Why would they use the 1.6l turbo, when the 2.0 turbo is a much more proven platform? None of this makes any sense at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Autoblog said:
Compared to the Impreza, the BRZ's engine is placed 120 mm lower and 240 mm further back... And that's why there's no turbo, and no plans to include one – the engine occupies the space where Subaru would normally bolt one on... Subaru plans a longer life-cycle for the car, six to seven years instead of four to five, and it was strongly hinted that we would see a power bump during a mid-cycle refresh – but not a turbocharged bump.
I think that says it all. That's not to say the aftermarket won't be able to remedy the situation. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
dude do you really think that they cant get around this and i think the sales would jump if they did and you posted this on like 12 diff post and the article is from the 5th alot of things can change and it did not say anything about the sti version and red this from a article
"Either way we know for a fact Toyota/Subaru are officially working on an FA20 engine with a turbo and that it fits in the current engine bay. "

·
Registered
21 Posts
I admit, I did get carried away there with my posts. Anyway, I'd like nothing more than for this car to succeed because if it doesn't then it'll get killed off. For me, it doesn't matter whether it's turbocharged or not, I just want to drive it! If the STI version winds up turbo'd then great, if not, no biggie.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"Either way we know for a fact Toyota/Subaru are officially working on an FA20 engine with a turbo and that it fits in the current engine bay. "
That's great! :) Please link me! If the BRZ STI is turbo'd, it'll make for a very tough choice when the new STI comes out. As I understand it, it's supposed to be a lot smaller than the current car and been turned to its own dedicated vehicle. Kind of like the GT-R/Skyline split. I guess the only to differentiate them at that point would be the BRZ being sold as a coupe and the WRX/STI as hatchbacks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
agreed and I am too i just thought you were like a hater of the brz and trying to mess with everyone on the forum, but yeah im waiting a couple months after it comes out to get it just to see and make sure that there is going to be a turbo charged version, but im going to test drive it the first day it comes out! lol :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah, i think that this thing will be a awesome car and if it is turbocharged it will be ridiculous. I am super excited

1 - 11 of 11 Posts